Head gasket blown 5MGE? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks for the thorough write-up and great heads-up!
    As I said, I have not seen any overheating issues, and the cap seems to work as intended, the radiator top is always full, even if the reservoar has been close to (or even) empty.
    But, I will check the reservoar and plumbing again for sure!
    As you say, the cap has failed me on other cars as well, so I have had it on my mind. I think you might be onto something regarding the thermostat, though. Even if the gauge usually is spot-on, I have seen some highs and lows this last year, and as far as I know, it's the original one too.
    The fan clutch is immaculate, loose when cold, and rigid as a seized bearing when hot.

Parked alongside a $100' E-type, but my Celica Supra is actually a less common car..
    Last edited by Beernuts; 09-13-2018 at 05:56 AM.
    '83 Celica Supra 2.8i Euro spec
    '67 Toyota Crown 2000 Special
    A lot of Audis..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Just to conclude..
    In May I took out the car to go to a friend's house some 25 kms away, and the car ran good one way. I heard some of the now somewhat familiar belching into the reservoar, but as there was no puddle when we checked later, I didn't worry much. The temperature was normal.

When we returned home, the temperature suddenly soared, and I had to rev it to have it go down. This repeated itself some times.
    Well, we got home, and some days after, I pulled the (I believe original) thermostat. It opened at 87-89 degrees, but not very much. After boiling it for some minutes, it still wasn't as open as I would have it to, but then it did not close completely either. Still, I thought i should have been enough.

I ordered a new, and since it just runs in the summer, i chose one with 82 degrees.
    Opening the housing, i _had_ to break a bolt, and pretty fed up and still thinking the HG was blown, especially after the overheating, I postponed the bolt removal job for some time. (Some time=2.5 months. I said I was fed up..)

I had to weld FOUR nuts and lastly just a washer to get enough leverage to yank out the bolt, that was one tough bolt!

Making a new gasket and removing the worst pitting of the hose flange, I reassembled and started up. 20 minutes idling later, the needle had not budged past 'half', and a test drive confirmed that a lazy thermostat could cause many problems.

Well, now it's back on the road again, and I'm off to my MOT/EU test today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1UCal7o...on_share_sheet
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B1Zwz5Yo...on_share_sheet
    Last edited by Beernuts; 08-23-2019 at 04:24 AM.
    A lot of Audis..

Question Bhg? Nooooooo!

NO BHG? Lucky dude.
    It got really hot!
    Any trouble with "burping" the system? I always have trouble with that last air bubble trapped in the cooling system.
    Anti-seize is your friend.

You Supra looks...AWESOME!
    I did this with a couple of water hose couplings. The rear heater hose traps the air inside.
    By the fire wall.Recommended addition,as mentioned by Ray85p.
    If the system is not properly burped,that trapped air can CAUSE a BHG. Most late model cars have some burping bleed valve. Smart. The air bubble will not allow coolant to circulate in that back few cylinders and it gets REALLY hot.

Another way to burp is to park it facing uphill and rev the SNOT of the engine to force that bubble to the front. The reservoir tank will go down a little. Fill it back up.
    Yes,the hose and cap and connections need to not leak vacuum going to/from the reservoir tank.
    Normal!.. for the tank to fill with gunk-that is how the system works.

When you do the M.O.T. test,be sure that the engine is fully warmed up-hotter the better. I'm exempt in my State,but it has passed the emissions test in the past.1995.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Thanks, I also think it looks good, even if it has some things here and there. Your engine room looks immaculate, though!

I just refilled, and I have driven a bit. (Well, I admit i did som WOT runs.. It's a Supra, after all! )
    I heard some burping, and the reservoar now is a bit fuller than when I started.. I'll just keep an eye out, I'm about to flush it again anyway!

Norway has a 2.4% CO limit for these old cars without catalyzer, so my 1.6 was well within limits.
    A lot of Audis..

YAY! You passed the MOT/EU.

I can't keep my hands out of my engine compartment. I try to make improvements to the original design.
    There IS a pretty aluminum intake tube under the shiny bubble wrap.
    The master cylinder has a desiccant bag on top to collect any moisture.
    I use Evanscool and will NEVER have a pressure-related coolant failure.
    I tossed the thermostatic fan assembly-a mistake.I use a small fiberglass fan.
    The water pump is over driven from the crankshaft by about 30 %,IMO.
    I thought that my fire wall was transferring heat to the passenger compartment,so I added some insulation.
    The strut tower braces are from a big trucks extended mirror brackets.They don't get in the way at all.
    I also did the BIG THREE with fatter wires.

The 5 MGE loves to be wound out!It's just an Italian tune-up.

Sweet mods, Dave! I tend to keep mine stock, but as everything slowly deteriorates, I will eventually have to modify things.

Yes, approved for two more years! (Of course.. I have driven it some 2200km's in the last two years, nut much happens during that time!)
    Last edited by Beernuts; 08-24-2019 at 08:46 AM.
    A lot of Audis..

It never ends..
    On our way home from a party, the charge light started shining..
    It clearly has low state of charge, ([email protected]) and opening the generator revealed perfect brushes.
    I suspect I've blown the regulator, so I'll just replace that first.
    Stay tuned!
    A lot of Audis..

OH NOOOOO!
    This Chinese cigarette lighter volt meter saved me from being stranded.
    I drove for 1/2 day until I could get the entire alternator replaced.I did it the hard way: from the top. DOH!

Yes,I have a back up (stock) alternator,when it happens again.
    An 8 gauge wire was added.

I was thinking that the slip ring got wet from coolant,but no.
    A dead battery will ruin any party mode vibe.

Thread Information