Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Possible to swap driver/passenger seat backs?

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Beernuts 
#1 ·
In my '85 L-type the driver's seat back has one of those terrible lumbar bars (not the inflatable bag like P-type seats). With the padding being kind of worn and me being a pretty big guy the thing digs into my back, even at the lowest setting, it's totally uncomfortable to drive the car for more than 10 minutes or so. The passenger seat doesn't have the lumbar bar and is in much better shape, is it possible to swap just the seat backs?

#6 ·
Probably easier to remove the upper cover and swap foams side to side and remove the lumbar arm if you want that. I'm pretty sure the metal frames are different side to side.

#9 ·
I don't think so, but car seats are all pretty much the same. You need a set of hog ring pliers and a pack of hog rings. I think the L-type seats have zippers on the back. You unzip the back and pull it towards the front. Usually where your back sits is hog ringed to wires running across the frame side to side. A lot of times you can take the cover off and rebuild it back with scrap foam to pump it up. If you're not up to it an upholstery shop could do it in probably and hour or two of labor. You might just try and find a pair of P-type seats, especially if you don't mind mismatches.

#11 ·
Nice thing on the P-type seats is everything but the ribbed center piece and bottom bolt on. Which means you can simply remove a couple of bolts and use a passenger bolster where the drive side one wears on the outside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.