Possible to swap driver/passenger seat backs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Possible to swap driver/passenger seat backs?

In my '85 L-type the driver's seat back has one of those terrible lumbar bars (not the inflatable bag like P-type seats). With the padding being kind of worn and me being a pretty big guy the thing digs into my back, even at the lowest setting, it's totally uncomfortable to drive the car for more than 10 minutes or so. The passenger seat doesn't have the lumbar bar and is in much better shape, is it possible to swap just the seat backs?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

U not alone with this problem. My driver seat is terrible but thanks God I have P-type with air lumbar support. There is much less settings on pass side. But I'm assume vertical part identical and symmetrical to swap. Hope u'll find solution, keep us update.

May experienced people recommend us wht is cheap way to get upholstery in driver side seat to be fix. Seat Covers? Put new material? Leather skin how you guys handle that problem???? Thx.
    Screenshot_20181005-085443_1538744123073.jpg pass side is almost brand new.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jpolo View Post
    In my '85 L-type the driver's seat back has one of those terrible lumbar bars (not the inflatable bag like P-type seats). With the padding being kind of worn and me being a pretty big guy the thing digs into my back, even at the lowest setting, it's totally uncomfortable to drive the car for more than 10 minutes or so. The passenger seat doesn't have the lumbar bar and is in much better shape, is it possible to swap just the seat backs?
    May u consider to install air lumbar support.

https://www.celicasupra.com/forums/s...#/topics/32754
    This may help

CelicaSupra.com Member '82supra's Avatar
    I is possible to swap seats and/or lumbar support, this thread might help. GLWT
    Hidden Content
    DreadBull

Probably easier to remove the upper cover and swap foams side to side and remove the lumbar arm if you want that. I'm pretty sure the metal frames are different side to side.

Quote Originally Posted by '82supra View Post
    I is possible to swap seats and/or lumbar support, this thread might help. GLWT
    Thanks man really helpful for me. Step by step instructions. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMk2 View Post
    Probably easier to remove the upper cover and swap foams side to side and remove the lumbar arm if you want that. I'm pretty sure the metal frames are different side to side.
    Thanks for the info, is there any guide for doing this (mainly removing the covers without ruining them)? I have never done anything related to upholstery.

Quote Originally Posted by jpolo View Post
    Thanks for the info, is there any guide for doing this (mainly removing the covers without ruining them)? I have never done anything related to upholstery.
    I don't think so, but car seats are all pretty much the same. You need a set of hog ring pliers and a pack of hog rings. I think the L-type seats have zippers on the back. You unzip the back and pull it towards the front. Usually where your back sits is hog ringed to wires running across the frame side to side. A lot of times you can take the cover off and rebuild it back with scrap foam to pump it up. If you're not up to it an upholstery shop could do it in probably and hour or two of labor. You might just try and find a pair of P-type seats, especially if you don't mind mismatches.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMk2 View Post
    You might just try and find a pair of P-type seats, especially if you don't mind mismatches.
    Yeah I think I'm just going to go this route, they seem so much better. Already made a thread in the wanted section.

Thread Information