China Run

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: China Run

CelicaSupra.com Member '82supra's Avatar

China Run

I had just been woken up from an afternoon slumber by my four year old and wasn’t in the greatest of moods, so I said to my wife, I’m going for a spin…grabbed the keys to my brother-in-law’s Honda motorbike since I’ve been given rights to use any of the bikes in his fleet at my leisure while visiting China. After I had the tank filled by the village gas jockey, I was passed by a couple young punks on their bikes taunting me, shouting “guilo”, which is a derogatory term for foreigner, meaning ‘ghost’.

I knew they were just egging me on and the kid in me wanted to play, so I sped up to catch them. They kicked down into 4th gear on their Chinese made MTC’s with 125cc Suzuki motors (5 down) which are the bikes most locals drive, while my Honda Rebel is actually a big bike in these parts (250cc - 1 down, 4 up), so I knew they could gear up faster than I, but I could kick down faster on the curves.

Anyway, they turned onto a very twisty mountain road thinking, OK let’s play chicken with this foreigner. I gave chase, pursuing at a distance, since the second driver was weaving side to side and I didn’t want to get cut off and spill myself off the mountain (no helmet as usual). Besides, who knows what kind of vehicle or fallen tree we might encounter along the way. BTW I knew the road well, since I drive it every morning to do T’ai Chi up at one of the local temples. Too many obstacles to count from my experience and I’ve probably logged a good 800km’s in the past two weeks on these back roads.

So the race was on...the adrenaline pumping, motors revving, wind nearly blowing my hat off, bugs hitting my face, eating some dust…thru the twisty’s, numerous turns, then over the reservoir dam where the road stretched straight across. This was my chance. So I lifted into 5th WOT, leaning forward to reduce drag and easily blasted by the second driver...the first bike must’ve been tuned up ‘cuz he had some snot! We were getting near the end of the stretch, but I wasn’t gonna give in. I kept ‘er wide open, taking the guy to redline, passing him and managed to kick down before the speed bumps at the end of the dam got the better of me, WOOT!

I don’t know what happened to those guys, I didn’t see them after that, except in my mirror around the first curve, but I’m sure they figured this was one ‘ghost turned banshee’, lol.
    Last edited by '82supra; 01-03-2014 at 07:36 AM.
    Hidden Content
    DreadBull

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member spud3861's Avatar
    You're crazy!

I'm jealous of your adventure sir.

-Dustin-
    -Dustin-
    Sold: 1985 Supra, 290k 5m, Fuzzy Dice.
    Sold: 1985 Supra, 6mgte, 349whp/352tq at 16psi. Build Thread: Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Yeah Andy, gotta be a li'l crazy even to drive in China! It friggin' drives me nuts every time I go out, let alone race, but this ain't my first merry-go-round...drove a motorbike for two years here before without a license. Foreigners can't get them here (unless VIP). Actually stepped out of the driver's seat of the car today when cops drove by - they looked at me funny . Police tried to stop me a few times before, but I was told by a local lawyer not to stop, hence they never did catch me, lol. That was on an imported Yamaha motocross, while police bikes were too heavy and couldn't negotiate off road. That WAS crazy! Don't get me wrong, I do respect the authorities and I'm probably the safest driver on the road, which is actually kind of a detriment…words simply can't describe the traffic. Internet is slow, so no uploads, but will try to get some pics and video when I return to Canada.

Dustin, you're def gonna be in for a good year esp now that your ride is almost done. Hope to see you up in Targa NFLD…that is sure to be a blast!
    Hidden Content
    DreadBull

CelicaSupra.com Member
    i want another bike BAD! i have ridden my whole life and now find myself motorcycleless.....

Looking to get a 450+ Dual-Sport next!
    97 XR650L. DD / Toy.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Not only is being (apparently) crazy the safest thing to do, it's probably the only way to remain moderately sane! Carry on and enjoy the trip!

Spot on Ray, hard to find peace of mind amidst the noise and confusion, possibly the best way to describe it is 'organized chaos'.

When there are few stop lights, green means lean on the horn, red means GO, drive or pass on the opposite side of the road or sidewalk/shoulder whenever it's convenient, absolutely no right of way esp for pedestrians...instead 'might means right', that is, the bigger the vehicle has the right of way. Mercedes Benz drivers apparently think they own road like their own driveway. Load your bicycle, three wheeler, taxi or tractor with as much as it can carry and never under any circumstances use the rear view mirror or turn signals and the horn is your best friend, etc. etc. etc.

Trying to make sense of it all would only drive you bananas IMHO
    Last edited by '82supra; 01-23-2014 at 06:28 PM.
    Hidden Content
    DreadBull

…oh, and I almost forgot, use of headlights at night is optional as are helmets, seat belts are for sissies, load your family or as many passengers on your motorcycle and drive as fast as you can!
    Hidden Content
    DreadBull

CelicaSupra.com Member amir_zwara's Avatar
    I love my Supra, but nothing is funner than a bike. Especially a small cc bike.

…and all this while talking on the phone esp girls and if you're a guy, that plus smoking a cigarette. I kid you not!

In fact, I'm def a cause of traffic jams…rubber-kneckers gawk, esp giggly girls and older women who stop in their tracks and wave. Some guys in fact, will do a u-turn just to get another look, like they've never seen a real-live foreigner. If I pull out a camera, that's a whole new ballgame! It's weird when some random dude on the street you never seen before calls you 'Canada', lol.

Quote Originally Posted by amir_zwara View Post
    I love my Supra, but nothing is funner than a bike. Especially a small cc bike.
    Agreed!
    Hidden Content
    DreadBull

Thread Information