Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Tube frame JZA61

37K views 112 replies 18 participants last post by  Atl_Racer 
#1 ·
hi, im Tore(21) from Norway, though ill share my second JZA61 build
not even halfway done

soo this is my life , currently got 10 old toyotas so progress is a bit slow from time to time..

both 1jz powerd
stock vvti in the road car
non vvti in this,
arp head and rod bolts, mls HG, HKS 264 cams, twin scroll manifold and big comp turbo, aiming for 550 ish

car without all the fiberglass

not planning on dying in here

read mount radiator

wilwood pedalbox

next up is R154, act clutch, injectors, ecu and fuel systems
car got s13 front and rear sustension :D

See less See more
#5 ·
Thank you for sharing pictures of all the hard work.

#6 ·
Thanks guys, Niiice Supra123! grip build? what the plan with the rear suspesion? looks like u made some lower control arms yourself?

the old thread of the old celica supra kinda died, i lost all intrest and fixed my two ae86 instead.. when they where finished sold the 2jz and bought a stock 1jz from japan and slapped it in over a few days and ripped it till the grearbox (w58) lost a gear and the diff kaboomed...

good old hj60

ebisu style intercooler for testing

first test in the driveway, more street ripping on my youtube channel, could only add one video here

made some intercooler pipes, before i got a tig so i made it in steel

soo back to this build, i swapped outthe manifold purely because of the looks, and better intercooler routing, and a friend had it for really cheap... ill be ditching the big throttle body because it sucks, going stock TB..
want a reliable engine because i have a bad habit of being a bit hard ont he engine, so i dont want to push it too much... thats why im thinking 500 is nice and can probly take all my abuse...

trying to fit a ta22 dash, also going with all analog meters because old school is cool, alot of ppl use ipads etc but i dont like that in something as old as this... getting the full dash and flocking it :D

#8 ·
The widebody car is pretty awesome! I see you've had some pretty similar ideas to my own, congrats for getting off your ass and doing it first lol So many car, enjoy your 20s and having free time. Kids and houses have capped my rate of progress for sure, but eventually I'll get my cars done.

#9 ·
haha ture, free time is important even tho i dont have alot with all my projects...

Supra Badge on chin spoiler
and if you are wondering why i dont get off my ass and weld those intercooler pipes im waiting for my tranny (R154) and want to make sure the engine mounts and the angle of the engine is final before welding up the IC piping :p
also got alot of project under the hood, going with electric servo and only belt driven thing is going to be a 100A alternator... go lightweigth wheel for alternator and cranck, only need to make mounts and order a rigth length belt and make a tensioner... all needs to be neat looking...
electric water pump, servo pump, big cooling fan and 3x 044 Fuel pumps is going to need a bit of Amp...

when u leave ur car alone in the shop, and come back and i have a thrumpet in the Turbo :thumbsup:

got hold of a TA22 complete dash

i think it will look sick and old school

gktech lock kit incomming this week, this angle is laughable

picked up a few parts this weekend, 4x Bosch 044 replacment pumps, simens deka 840cc injectors, new fuel tank with surge tank built in, so i save some space back there and cleans it up a bit, and a oil cooler

seat brakets for the bride, 180sx rear part of the tailshaft, 180sx rear calipers, going to have 2 sets of calipers in the rear, dont want to mix brake and handbrake, and lines for the rear mounted radiator

180sx rear will take it total apart, sandblast,repaint and replace bushings and get new spindels with drop and extra caliper brackets

5 bolt axles , told theese are beefier than 6 bolt?

looks like it says KAAZ but dunno, feels welded

also doing a overhaul on my blue daily HJ60 so time is limited... installing turbo, arb lockers, ome lift kit and new tranny with PTO and original winch... also wanna sandblast the body and repaint it dune beige... work at a sandbasting/paintshop so i get to do my own stuff a bit cheaper :p

#10 ·
Lock kit arrived

touches frame here so need to widen lca

rear end all apart, found out i have cusco adjustable arms, skyline diff and axlels with a KAAZ 1.5 or 2 way :D

sandblasted today after work, will paint it in the weekend

#13 ·
haha thanks, was just dicking arround the shop testing the supra logo on everything and all off a sudden i find myself testing it on the front spoiler and its fits so perfect i just could not resist sticking it on there, had to cut it and make it fit the angle of the spoiler tho.. a bit tacky but works :)

hopefully in action when summer comes arround.. :D
rear end
found out i got a skyline 32-33 GTS diff with skyine axels, cusco adjustable arms and opened it confirmed its a KAAZ lsd :D

ohyeah, this will look good since i have nothing under my rear ligths, u see the whole rear subframe and suspension very good :p

#14 ·
Very nice.

Is there any adjustment on your steering arms to control the max turning angle? Stock arms had them. Adding a stopping point just shy of the frame rail might be neater then modding the LCA. Obviously you are going to be drifting and want lots of angle though.

#15 ·
yes sir! there is a stopper for both sides with the kit, having the wheel touching the frame rails drags alot and is no good
you see the little thing on the LCA, adjustable ofcourse, very impresseed with the quality of GKTechs products and price!

soo here is the plan with cooling, using the stock roof spoiler as a air scoop and dragging the air down into the hatch, still remaining glass in the hatch and this should be almost invisible

then made a new frame for the glass, hatch still fully operatonial... then use spoiler as a scoop

need a gasket between the hatch and the top of the radiator shroud

air will have no problem escaping after the radiator since the car is so open in the rear end

all together almost invisible :D

my only worry is this migth be too little air? dont really want to have air inlets in rear side windows, does not look good in my eyes..

piping for water and electric water pump

tank is going behind radiator, i know i know hot air on the tank but maybe ill add a fuel cooler

figuring out the fuel system, almost all in house.. surge tank in the side if the tank..

picked up a R154 and act clutch yesterday

only missing the driveshaft for the driveline

shifter is 30cm too forward so need to make a new mecanism for that

enough space for everything else in the tunnel

garage is way to full

#16 ·
I've never seen anyone use a sunshade spoiler like that to scoop for cooling, very rad. The spoiler is actually named poorly, it drops the top speed significantly and doesn't really help downforce much at all. Here is a post with some aero info, the pics don't work inline anymore but if you hit "reply with quote" on any post that mentions pics, it'll give the URL of the pic, just paste those in another tab and they work.
https://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?48713-MKII-Airflow-Pressure-Rendering-2D-Model

If you end up with swirling hot air you might be able to force more air into the area with naca ducts in the rear side windows, just a thought. I love naca ducts though, had a 96 Honda VFR with the biggest ones i think i've ever seen for a factory vehicle haha

#17 ·
Thanks, haha did not get any wiser from trying to read that tho :p crossing my fingers it will work because i dont want to have air inlets in my rear side windows, i want all the windows to be nice and clean :D
injectors in house, simens deka 800 something cc cant remember off the top of my head... custom spacers to make it fit

need alot of AN fittings and meters of lines

trying to make this shit work

now i need to place expantion tank, filler neck, maybe something to get air out aswell? and the waterpump and the water lines. then i have to modify all the water lines/outlet/inlet and heater stuff on the engine, also i have gutted the water pump and will weld the hole for the axle and make it look better ....

#18 ·
Looking good man. What's the plan for mounting the rear subframe? Have you decided on what modifications it will need or what approach you're going to take?

I picked up a full subframe back half from a 240sx as well and plan to swap it into my 85'. With the raptor racing camber brackets as low as they will mount and maxed out I still have -1.5 camber

#19 ·
Looks like the rear subframe is already in, I think he has 2 of them.

Bubbles, the Raptor brackets can work on extreme lowered cars, but you have to mount them extra low on the subframe. Go right through the edge of the subrame, let em hang about half an inch lower on the outside. We did that on a car lowered 2.25inchs over stock and we got -0.5deg. They could have been mounted even lower for a more extreme drop.

#22 · (Edited)
Awesome car, Love the rear end. When i saw your rear hatch spoiler, it made me think that, for cooling maybe look towards GROUP B rallying roof spoilers that cooled the rear end. You could hide the side profile with the spoiler and would collect a lot of air.

A mesh rear end would be quite cool between the rear lights as well :naughty: LOVE Lancia 037's!

#24 ·
Except he didn't go that low actually.

This is low...

Should have welded it there (that's your pic btw, before welding). Now the issue becomes when you mount it that low, the inner mount is so tight you can't run poly bushings anymore. So we placed the outer mounts where we needed them, welded, then cut off the inner mounts and reclocked them to match perfectly with the camber bolt adjusted for the center. Worked perfectly, no binding, and almost perfect correction at 2.25 inchs lower then stock. I'm going to mount mine even lower on my black 86 as I'm at 2.65inchs lower and we bottomed out at .5 deg negative camber on Deanfun's car, which is perfect, but I won't be able to manage that without going lower. Extra bonus, we ended up with a better camber curve then stock too. Less toe change even.

#25 ·
haha loove the 037 myself, group b is inspirational.. but dont like the look of scoops instead of rear side windows so will try to just have the spoiler
mounting up 100A alternator because electric everything

managed to get the supra lightwigth pulley to fit, orderd a new belt for it, 680mm, buying a turnbuckle to make adjustment

fitting my guages into the new wooden TA22 dash, faak i love theese analoge guages, propper old school vibe an soo easy to read quick

bad pics but yeah.. need a wilwood hanbrake (separat from rest of brakes, going dual calipers) to match the wilwood pedalbox

cut a E34 dash to use here, unsure if i want to cut the cage and relocate it or just relocate the brake and clutch fluid cups..? im not having them in the engine bay..

https://i.imgur.com/RDRHD09.jpg[/IMG
yes i have two s13 rear ends..time to swap in the one with skyline stuff
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/g7huo6H.jpg

rear end in, need to paint the JIC Magic coilovers/springs... that purple does not match anything

running without rear bumber, will look evil from rear

cant wait till i finish all interior and fuel system so i can paint the body everywhere and red cage/tube frames :D

clean up in shop and put hood back on, need to finish the hood/sthrengthen it and make some hood latches.. and paint it...
and i feeel the car need a little something in the white front... its too white so i need something to contrast

#26 ·
Super awesome!

But that crank pulley, that looks like one of those old undampened ones peeps were selling for awhile. You don't want that, you need a fully dampened crank pully to keep your motor together over the long haul. The only option I know of for a lighter then stock dampened one is the Fluidamper. I have one on my 6m actually, they're not bad, but super pricey.

#28 ·

haha so what your saying SupraFriend is that this pulley is not good for the balance of my engine? i got my engine without the pulley and just got one on ebay haha, ill get a stock one instead then? :D i dont care about the weigth, but i thougth this looked good...

currently got enough to do.. welding rust in my HJ60 frame and hoping to sandblast and paint the frame this weekend, and picking up a beams and J160 for the drift 86 over xmas, and the road 86 needs inspection to stay road legal.. hard to chose what to use money and time on haha

"new" tires for my curiser.. not cheap

want this thing to be bullet proof when done, its got ARB air lockers, OME heavy duty springs and shocks, stock winch with a axle from the gearbox powering it, 4 liter diesel going turbo, bodylift and now its got 38,5x15-15 boggers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.