Project “Silver Bullet” — Part 3 - Page 3

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    https://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...apter-kit-MORE

Basically a full CD0009 swap. $4100 asking.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member mutantcolors's Avatar
    Oh come on, you can totally make use of 2500rpm @ 100mph!

CelicaSupra.com Member supraholic's Avatar
    Well, I took the plunge. My minty fresh, fully built-by-Driftmotion R154 trans (w/ALL Marlin Crawler goodies) will soon be up for sale once I get it back from them. I just picked up the "universal" T56 Magnum conversion kit from Grannas Racing w/ClutchMasters FX850 dual plate clutch. Joel is running a Black Friday deal so I saved an additional $450 off on the kit. Bonus.

I'm super pumped. And as usual, this forum finds a way to spend more money than I planned. So thank you all for your ideas, insight and recommendations. I'll be sure to update pics and the entire install process in this thread so stay tuned...

-Dan

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Awesome. I really like the CM 850 clutch, too. Been using it with a street/race disc setup, and it drives very nice on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by supraholic View Post
    puts the car over 100 at 2500 RPM with 3.73 rear end and the tire size I’m running. Not a practical cruising speed unfortunately. Lol.
    In Germany, almost! But we're not there.
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily driver, RIP...), 2002 E39 ///M5 LMB Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Project “Silver Bullet” — Part 3

UPDATE! Santa Claus stopped by in the big brown truck today and dropped this off:

I’m pumped.

Picked up an MKIV replica shift knob with T56 shift pattern. Sweet:

Awaiting the clutch to arrive tomorrow then traveling for work the next couple of weeks. Hoping to dig into this project in mid-December and through the holidays...

-Dan

EDIT: clutch arrived!
    Last edited by supraholic; 11-28-2018 at 07:31 PM.

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Cool! Post the total cost once you get this thing hooked up to your JZ and running (that is what you have isn't it?). I can't think of many on this board that have actually completed this conversion with a Toyota i6 under the hood still.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Looking forward to the progress on this one ...

Progress today! Got the W58 out along with installation of new rear main seal and new T/O bearing that came with Grannas kit. Got the Magnum all prepped and ready for a test fit but was at a good stopping point this evening to spend time with the fam on Christmas Eve. Will dig back in on Wednesday.

Happy Holidays everyone!!

Flipped the shifter around and resealed the housing:

GREAT NEWS—IT FITS! But there’s definitely very little room to spare...

So here’s the deal...first I test fitted the bell housing and had to do a couple minor modifications.

1. I had to move the 4 hard lines at the front of the tunnel:

Also, you can see where I had to massage the tunnel a little bit to clear the side of the bell (just below the hard lines).

Here’s where I moved the top two hard lines (fuel supply and rear brake line feed) to the top of the tunnel, and the bottom two lines (fuel return and fuel tank vapor) to the bottom of the tunnel:

2. With a test of the Bell housing again I decided to cut off two tabs at the top of the bell to give more clearance. You can see the cut marks in this pic:

Cutoff wheel made quick work and brushed on some black chassis paint to prevent rusting on the cut marks...more clearance...nice:

So with the bell fitting nice, it was time to test fit the trans. Pucker time!

3. First minor issue I ran across sliding the trans into place was at the shifter opening. I knew the shifter would fit perfectly in the unmodified hole once in its final resting position. However, notice the shifter handle stud on the trans protrudes about 3 inches—as compared to W58 where the shifter comes out completely giving more top side clearance when angling the trans into position. Net/net, I couldn’t get enough trans angle to clear the output spline into the bell hosing while also clearing the shifter stud into the shifter opening. I trimmed about 1/2” off the rear side of the shifter opening and problem solved.

The shifter location in the opening is about 1/2” more forward than the W58. PERFECT.

4. With the tail of the trans lifted as high as I could get it without any interference, I still need to raise it another half inch or so. Here you can see where the rear of the trans hangs down; I’d like to try and get to even with the frame rails at minimum:

Looking down from the front of the car, oil pan in the foreground, you can see at the far end where the rear of the trans hangs a little lower than the bottom of the bell. Another 1/2-3/4” higher and will be good:

There’s enough clearance at the top rear of the tunnel to raise another 1/2-3/4”:

...but I will need to massage a couple more spots on the trans tunnel to clear and move the two hard lines i moved to the top of the tunnel back down towards the bottom to clear the bell.

I’ll post the next update once all these final tweaks are made and the trans is in for the final time. Yahoo!! The T56 Magnum fits in the MK2!!

-Dan
    Last edited by supraholic; 12-28-2018 at 03:10 PM.

Thread Information