Project “Silver Bullet” — Part 3 - Page 2

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Really, whats the alternative though. Fitting a T56 is a PITA and super expensive. The 6 speed in the 370z is really affordable, but the swap kit puts it way beyond the cost of a marlin crawler upgraded r154, and people complain about the shift quality all day in the 370z too. Seems like the 6 speeds in modern muscles cars are the only way to go these days. People bitch endlessly about the ones in the new Tacomas, IS250s, Altezza etc. I wish Toyota still made their own rwd manual tranny.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

T56 magnum. You can spend a 1000 on an r154 and then 2000 rebuilding it with all the bells and whistles. Or you can spend $3200 and get a brand new t56 delivered to your door from Summit. If you break anything on the r154 you're screwed and have to start over.

Upgrading to a Dog Box was the best thing I ever did. After years and years of using regular transmissions, it was time to do what I dreamed of doing.

Even someone actually made his signature with my name in it. I love it.
    Billet main 1J, PGS dog box R-154, Pro-EFI 128, ID2000cc, Hypertune, Headgames, Kelford, Stillway, C's, CP, Weldon, Magnafuel, IGN-1A, nitrous, six pt. cage, so much more...
    Jeffrey Rainwater
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Corey Larkins Hidden Content
    My first wife left me because I like to behave like a dog... Jeff also has the best parts on his Supra. I wish I could afford at least half that kind of stuff, but I never will.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Sure, a t56 box, but whats the bell, flywheel, output shaft and all the ancillaries that need to be replaced cost? And who has actually done it? I did some searching and couldn't find any build threads with a completed swap. Will is getting close. I seem to remember somewhere too that the transmission width is huge on those and it won't fit in the stock tunnel. If you have to do a complete tunnel replacement like with the v160, its far from a practical or cost effective swap. FYI I have a good buddy who built an insane twin turbo 1uz ra2x Celica and he had about $8k Cdn into his complete t56 swap. And he broke the tranny too, and had some quality issues. I think that 8k may have included the cost of the replacement box, but still its not exactly cheap.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

The t56 magnum is narrower than the R154 and can put the shifter in the stock location. It's been done with v8 with no tunnel mods. Several bellhousings exist for the 2jz. There are bolt in swap kits for the mk4. Technically speaking the magnum is actually a newer tr6060 for the aftermarket.

CelicaSupra.com Member discoelk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMk2 View Post
    The t56 magnum is narrower than the R154 and can put the shifter in the stock location. It's been done with v8 with no tunnel mods. Several bellhousings exist for the 2jz. There are bolt in swap kits for the mk4. Technically speaking the magnum is actually a newer tr6060 for the aftermarket.
    99% sure this isn't possible unless you push the engine forward 3-4in.
    David H
    85 P, LS6/R154/3.58/TrueTrac etc

CelicaSupra.com Member supraholic's Avatar

Project “Silver Bullet” — Part 3

SilverMK2: you got me curious...Google quickly found Grannas Racing and they make a complete T56 Magnum swap kit for multiple imports w/2JZ engine swaps, including the MKIII: https://www.grannasracing.com/collec...jz-mkiii-jza70 . Check out the fitment pics in this link...I contacted the owner to get his thoughts on if this would also drop into the MK2. Mechanical speedo adoption is another question I had...Keep you guys posted.

Net/net, if there's a chance I can make this work, I might be selling my rebuilt R154 and try this setup instead...I'm game for something different. The total package would cost $2100 more (apples-to-apples) but 6-speed, brand new tranny, up to 700 lbft tq, fairly unique, and plenty of aftermarket parts...might be worth it. Hmmmm.
    Last edited by supraholic; 11-15-2018 at 09:20 PM.

Mechanical speedo you can take the tail housing off the trans and there are place that machine the mechanical speedo drive features. The pads are there, but they don't machine them. There are many different speedo gears for almost any combination available.

Unless they'll build you a mount the grannas kit isn't that helpful. They use a QuickTime bellhousing you can buy anywhere. Clutch you can get new disc's from osg and use what you have. Shifter use the rear plate, but flip it so it's forward. Reverse sensor there is a low profile Ford one out there.

Note also the t56 is better geared for like a 3.9 or 4.10 rear end. 6th is super tall on the Gm geared version.

I've run many R154's, My personal opinion is if you have all the parts and are scared of blowing up the W58, which would happen soon if you run 400tq. Its a stronger transmission. I have driven numerous R154's from MC rebuilds I've done, to minty low mileage ones. They drive like a truck, I have missed gears while pulling, and have only ever broken 1. If your already spending money. It might be better to look at other options and sell your whole kit to upgrade to something newer and will drive better. If your not spending much money to put the R154 in, (driveshaft mainly) then do it. Otherwise If I had a choice I personally would be looking into better options. I haven't done my due diligence so thats all I can say. Good luck, Beautiful car.
    -Parker-
    1985 MKII:2jz/R154/AEM EMS2

CelicaSupra.com Member supraholic's Avatar

Project “Silver Bullet” — Part 3

SilverMK2--Thanks for the info sir! Regarding optimal gearing, looks like there there's two different gearing options for the T56 Magnum to choose from:

1. 2.66, 1.78, 1.30, 1.00, .80, .63
    2. 2.97, 2.10, 1.46, 1.00, .74, .50

For comparison, the W58 ratios are: 3.285, 1.894, 1.275, 1.00, 0.78

I'm currently running a 3.73 rear end. What would be the optimal choice above for my setup?

raysupra--You are thinking exactly what I'm thinking...and leveraging all the diligence you've done is a time and money saver for me in the long run! Thanks for the advice!

-Dan

EDIT: I found a gear ratio calculator online and input the options above. #1 above is the best option. 6th gear ratio for #2 above puts the car over 100 at 2500 RPM with 3.73 rear end and the tire size I’m running. Not a practical cruising speed unfortunately. Lol.
    Last edited by supraholic; 11-16-2018 at 07:55 PM.

Thread Information