Headlights won't go back down

Lightbulb Headlights won't go back down

The headlight were working fine, now it doesn't go back down all of the sudden. Usually, I had to fiddle with the switch on the stalk to make it go down. It turns on, high beams work but stays popped up. Did the switch finally crap out. Is there a way to open the switch and clean the contracts? Or is it the relay? Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I seem to recall that there is a fusible link in the system that can melt. If you have a short in the stalk assembly that was causing you to have to fiddle with the stalk, it might have fried the link. I don't remember exactly where the link is, but I think it is somewhere by the driver's side headlight or around the battery. Check a wiring diagram. I'm sure you are aware that you can crank them up and down manually....

I checked the parts diagram and there is a headlight reactor relay. Any one know the location for 1982 supra?

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    First check the 7.5 amp fuse for the retractor relay. If you have a factory wiring diagram there are pages that show the locations of the components. I will check tomorrow and see if I can find the relay. Bob

CelicaSupra.com Member Zerodrag's Avatar
    I had this exact problem a few months back and it indirectly had to do with that fusible link (black box on the connection to battery). My issue had to do the with the wire to the connection from the black box to the battery (it was part of a split wire at the battery terminal) in that the wire under the rubber/plastic insulation had gotten brittle over time. When I was moving the battery cable (had to swap out the battery), I must have bent it enough where the wire underneath cracked. So, if I was to move/wiggle that wire/connector, my headlights would go back down. I just redid the wire to the battery and it solved the issue.

I also opened up that black box fusible link and cleaned it out. It was full of battery corrosion buildup from over the years. And I mean "full".

Having a similar problem. My left headlight works fine, but the right one will only go up. I can crank it down manually just fine. Usually I just make sure I leave them up.

***Sorry. Reading and typing too fast*** Mine will go down normally, but only go up if I manually crank it. The lights themselves work normally. I'll have a look at the wiring mentioned above for any similarities.
    Last edited by dchein; 03-19-2019 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Apparently I can't read...

Thread Information