1982/1983 OE Radio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1982/1983 OE Radio

I always thought that the AM/FM/MPX Tuner with 5 speakers, cassette and equalizer was the only sound system offered on the Celica Supra.
    I see in the 1982 and 1983 US Sales Brochures that this was in fact optional, with an AM/FM/MPX tuner with cassette was standard on both the L and P types.

Has anyone ever seen the standard radio in a Celica Supra?

In western Canada, the Celica Supra being a higher end car all seemed to come fully optioned. I have never seen the standard radio.

Does anyone have pictures of what it looks like? Is there a change/cassette holder in place of the equalizer in the second DIN slot?

Dale
    Black 1983 P Type 5 Spd, Cloth Interior, BBK,HRE 17" Wheels, HKS Exhaust
    White 1984 P Type Auto, Leather Interior, Sunroof, Digital Dash

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Let me go through my MKII literature collection. If I can find any pix of the 'standard' radio without equalizer I'll scan them and post them here.

- Jim
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

OK, I looked. All the sales brochures I have list the cassette deck/equalizer as an option, but all of the interior pix show it installed.

In all the magazine road tests I have, the interior shots show it installed. I found one road test from an Australian magazine that showed a different radio with a separate DIN-sized cassette deck mounted where the EQ would be.

And I've seen the EQ on top, and the EQ on the bottom, depending on year, or perhaps market.
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member '82supra's Avatar
    I've seen both in '83 on, but IIRC '82 Eq was on top (mine was, I replaced the deck) So 80's
    Hidden Content
    DreadBull

Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    OK, I looked. All the sales brochures I have list the cassette deck/equalizer as an option, but all of the interior pix show it installed.

In all the magazine road tests I have, the interior shots show it installed. I found one road test from an Australian magazine that showed a different radio with a separate DIN-sized cassette deck mounted where the EQ would be.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1985-1...IAAOSwNptbyVFS

And here it is?

Baseline Supra Stereo.jpg
    Is this the rarest original stereo around?

Dale

Yep, that's the radio I was referring to. It's not even "Electronically Tuned", just a good old push-button, slide-rule dial, AM/FM Stereo radio.

Gee.....I remember when "FM Multiplex" was a big advertising feature.
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

I sent a message to the seller and he said that he had removed it from a 1985 Supra. He does not know if it is the original radio. I suspect that it is.
    The 1982/3 radio is quite hard to find. I'll bet this one is way more rare. There can't have been many Supras that came with the standard stereo. The cars were usually heavily optioned.

This is actually quite cool. I didn't think to ask the owner for a photo of the model/serial number decal. The front of the tuner says 1321 and the Cassette deck says 1901. I assume this is the official Fujitsu Ten designation for the units, like the the more common 1984/5 optional tuner is labeled 1623.
    I have found an old post from 2006 that indicates that the Cassette Deck is Toyota Part Number 86260-14180, Fujitsu Ten Part Number SP1300C. It looks like the Cassette may have been a option on the Celica.

Dale, That is quite the find Sir!!!
    Regards,
    Arch
    '86 Supra MA67
    Brullen 2.5" Exhaust, HKS Fly w/7MGE clutch,ST Springs, RC Intake & TB, 2.8GT & XX emblems, Factory Add on Rear Shoulder belts, Pioneer DEH-P2000 AM/FM/CD w/CDS-P5000 CD Player, Compomotive CXNs 8x16

Its SOLD?? Did you buy it??
    Regards,
    Arch
    '86 Supra MA67
    Brullen 2.5" Exhaust, HKS Fly w/7MGE clutch,ST Springs, RC Intake & TB, 2.8GT & XX emblems, Factory Add on Rear Shoulder belts, Pioneer DEH-P2000 AM/FM/CD w/CDS-P5000 CD Player, Compomotive CXNs 8x16

in the 1985 canadian sales brochure, the MPX unit is standdard equipment in the GTS (P type)
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily driver, RIP...), 2002 E39 ///M5 LMB Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thread Information