Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1982/1983 OE Radio

7K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  AJ 
#1 ·
I always thought that the AM/FM/MPX Tuner with 5 speakers, cassette and equalizer was the only sound system offered on the Celica Supra.
I see in the 1982 and 1983 US Sales Brochures that this was in fact optional, with an AM/FM/MPX tuner with cassette was standard on both the L and P types.

Has anyone ever seen the standard radio in a Celica Supra?

In western Canada, the Celica Supra being a higher end car all seemed to come fully optioned. I have never seen the standard radio.

Does anyone have pictures of what it looks like? Is there a change/cassette holder in place of the equalizer in the second DIN slot?

Dale

#3 ·
OK, I looked. All the sales brochures I have list the cassette deck/equalizer as an option, but all of the interior pix show it installed.

In all the magazine road tests I have, the interior shots show it installed. I found one road test from an Australian magazine that showed a different radio with a separate DIN-sized cassette deck mounted where the EQ would be.

And I've seen the EQ on top, and the EQ on the bottom, depending on year, or perhaps market.

#5 ·
OK, I looked. All the sales brochures I have list the cassette deck/equalizer as an option, but all of the interior pix show it installed.

In all the magazine road tests I have, the interior shots show it installed. I found one road test from an Australian magazine that showed a different radio with a separate DIN-sized cassette deck mounted where the EQ would be.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1985-...618114?hash=item2876128942:g:6lIAAOSwNptbyVFS

And here it is?

Electronics Technology Audio equipment Electronic device

Is this the rarest original stereo around?

Dale

#6 ·
Yep, that's the radio I was referring to. It's not even "Electronically Tuned", just a good old push-button, slide-rule dial, AM/FM Stereo radio.

Gee.....I remember when "FM Multiplex" was a big advertising feature.

#7 ·
I sent a message to the seller and he said that he had removed it from a 1985 Supra. He does not know if it is the original radio. I suspect that it is.
The 1982/3 radio is quite hard to find. I'll bet this one is way more rare. There can't have been many Supras that came with the standard stereo. The cars were usually heavily optioned.

This is actually quite cool. I didn't think to ask the owner for a photo of the model/serial number decal. The front of the tuner says 1321 and the Cassette deck says 1901. I assume this is the official Fujitsu Ten designation for the units, like the the more common 1984/5 optional tuner is labeled 1623.
I have found an old post from 2006 that indicates that the Cassette Deck is Toyota Part Number 86260-14180, Fujitsu Ten Part Number SP1300C. It looks like the Cassette may have been a option on the Celica.

#8 ·
Dale, That is quite the find Sir!!!

#9 ·
Its SOLD?? Did you buy it??

#11 ·
Nope. It wasn't me!

For someone restoring their car to original it's probably perfect. It was a little rich for my blood because this isn't ever in my cars.
All the stock radios are getting harder to find, but this one has to be the rarest.

The Cassette unit looks like it was an option on the 82/85 Celicas, but I haven't seen any other vehicle that the radio fits into.

The only other similar unit I was able to find was on the Celica Supra forum:

https://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?37647-FS-Toyota-OEM-Radio-So-Cal-30-Shipped-OBO

I hope someone on the forum bought them and posts details about the part numbers on both units!

Dale

#12 ·
Dale hope so too that someone here snagged it!! I have a bunch of Fujistsu repair sheets I'll check to see if I have that one...

#14 · (Edited)
And

cassette tape player north america 1982
celica
celica supra
corolla

86260-14180

Attachments

#15 ·
Arch, your Technical Library must rival mine!

Had a GF about 15 years ago who worked at Fujitsu Ten in Torrance, CA. I was able to get 'employee pricing' on their top-of-the-line radio for my son's car. It seemed to be a decent radio, and he liked the way it had aux inputs, and line outputs for his sub.

#16 ·
Doc, Thanks for the props but I know your expertise as in a SME...I'm just a hack!!

#20 ·
Davan, email sent...

Reactions: drjim
#21 ·
Here is the service manual in pdf of the 84+ model. Hope link works :

Reactions: AJ
#22 ·
SCORE!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.