Dead cylinder! Has compression, gas, spark, and air? HELLPP!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dead cylinder! Has compression, gas, spark, and air? HELLPP!!!

I have a 6mge with around 100k miles. Compression is good in all the cylinders. Cylinder #4 is dead however. When I pull the plug, it makes no difference to the engine. I noticed it when the car started slowly misfiring and losing power. I took the distributor off to take a closer look at the injectors and when I put everything back together it was still sluggish except this time #4 was dead. I took apart the fuel rail and found yellow flakes that were jamming the injectors which would have caused my initial sluggishness. But still cannot find an answer to the dead cylinder.

It has a compression of around 160psi. New plugs, new wires, new distributor cap & rotor, injectors cleaned & tested by injector company (and i swapped the original injector for #4 with another one), I know its getting gas because the inside of the cylinder looks wet and the spark plug has black juice over it. I tested the injector's wire for #4 and the wire is not cut. I really do not know what is causing me to have a dead cylinder at this point. Anything helps!

oh and no I have not done a leak down test yet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Tried new plug wire?

If you have good static compression and fuel, ignition is the only thing left.

Edit: I see you added new plug wires.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Take the spark plug out and ground the threads on some metal, start it and see if it's actually creating a good spark. You can also leave the spark plug wire close to some metal and see if it will arc. Inspect the distributor at the #4 connection, and inspect the rotor.
    1981 Celica Supra - 5ME
    1981 Celica Supra - 5MTE
    1985 Cressida Wagon - 5MGE
    2010 Sequoia 3UR-FE

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Don't assume that just because parts are relatively recently purchased that they are good. At this point, some of the new Supra parts you may be getting have been sitting in a hot, humid warehouse for 30+ years and some of the recent manufacture are coming off 30+ year old tooling. Its just one of the challenges of keeping an old car.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

Yeah I did all of the above. I also swapped around parts that were working still no difference. Has good spark. Do you guys think one of my valves may be stuck open? Id have to do a leak down test next. As far as timing goes, i havnt check it with a timing light but its not that off. I dont think that would cause an entire cylinder to go out but maybe i should invest in a timing light as well.

Take the #4 plug out start the engine and make sure you ground the thread and see if you have spark. Next I would take a meter and make sure you have 12V at one of the injector terminals on that cylinder. Then I would switch injector positions with a good cylinder. FYI If the plug is wet with fuel its not going to make any spark. If all that fails then I would pull both valve covers and looks at the valves on that cylinder to make sure a lifter hasn't collapsed and the rocker hasn't fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by Shyzah View Post
    Do you guys think one of my valves may be stuck open?
    Not with 160 lbs compression
    Dave Harrison

current lineup and year acquired:

'85 white Mark2 7mgte 5sp 1988
    '85 white Mark2 7mgte Auto 2009
    '84 maroon Mark2 6mge 5sp 2013
    '86 red Mark2 7mgte 5sp 2016
    '85 black Mark2 6m Frankenmotor 5sp 2017

I'm sure you've double-checked so go ahead and triple-check that you're running on five cylinders. You could actually be running on four if you accidently swapped plug wire #four with #three
    Dave Harrison

current lineup and year acquired:

'85 white Mark2 7mgte 5sp 1988
    '85 white Mark2 7mgte Auto 2009
    '84 maroon Mark2 6mge 5sp 2013
    '86 red Mark2 7mgte 5sp 2016
    '85 black Mark2 6m Frankenmotor 5sp 2017

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    Since you have 160PSi compression, Use a real spark tester to verify spark. If you have spark, and you ave the wires in the correct firing order, then you do not have the proper amount of fuel if any. In this case, I suggest using a real Noid tester to verify the injector clip is trying to fire the injector. If that is firing, then it sounds like a bad injector.

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-T.../dp/B0002KO4I2

If it isnt firing, make sure one side has +12v. If not, a wire is bad somewhere between the injector resistor and the injector. If +12v is there, then a wire is bad between the injector clip and ECU as they are batch fired in sets of 3. If the injector driver was bad, or resistor had a bad output, 3 cylinders would be dead. Not just 1.
    william
    Black 84 7mgte/R154, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Blue 85 Beater. TRD Header, HKS Exhaust, custom 3in intake pipe, cone filter
    Black 86 Triple Weber 6m Eventually
    Rusty 85 Frankenstein 6M/w58 with DIYPNP

Ok so i was testing the voltage and im getting .17 from the injector #4 (the bad one). But i wws also getting around the same for one thats working?? I made a diy led strip noid light and that wont light up either. Tried to flip the polarity and still no work... meh. Am i supposed to ground the light out on the car battery?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Thread Information