Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Hello from Ontario

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  ddd228 
#1 · (Edited)
Howdy everyone,
Picked up an 85 P-type a few months ago as a project for a trackable autocross car that I can still do weekend cruises with. Canadian winters are long so I don't mind big projects.
Eventual goal is a unique engine swap, debating volvo i6 turbo or a VW vr6, but first it needs some love (trutrac, stiffer rear springs, coilovers, etc).
Hoping this place is still alive, as a lot of these parts are getting hard to find!
Cheers

Forgot to add:
- I'm an aerospace engineer, currently working with a professional race team.
- I did FSAE in university, and grew up working on cars, so big projects, composites, even custom milling is not impossible (but I do know how much work it is!)

#2 ·
Welcome. Yes, still alive, but nearly every technical question that can be asked has already been answered and much of the socialization that used to go on here has unfortunately moved to facebutt. A few of old geezers still kicking around the forums tho. ;)

#3 ·
Welcome!
Although not only MK2 oriented, the Toronto Supra Club could also be of some good help, specially if you are in the GTA.

#4 ·
welcome! cs.com is a great resource but activity has died down. definitely get on facebook toronto supra club group and there is an 82-85 celica supra parts group as well.

kinda odd how there are now like 5 different place to connect now.....all with the same people instead of this one central location we used to have.

#5 ·
I could understand people going to pb when phone data was expensive and limited. This is no longer the case. So I think people should make the effort of coming back here, where it's way more organized.
My opinion.

#11 ·
To the OP.... Welcome to the Forum... I'm in Kitchener Waterloo... where R U located ? I've got a LOT of parts I can sell & since we're in Canada... Shipping won't be as Ridiculous as it is from/to the US...

I agree with Jocelyn... I still consider the CS site to be the "Go To" site for ANYTHING Supra related...

So I second that opinion....

Cheers,

#8 ·
Nice, looking forward to a build thread and having someone with your background here!

Odd motor choices for sure. What's your motivation? I've thought about the vr6 myself for something like a Miata in an effort to make a poor man's 2000gt, but the mk2 has such a big engine bay the newer Supra motors are hard to resist. Now a BMW b58 would be funny right about now lol.

#9 ·
Honestly I just prefer lightweight over high-horsepower. The 1jz or 2jz is adding another 50+lbs to an already overweight engine, and I'm aiming for 300-350hp, not 600+.

The VW engines are tempting because they have a DSG option (dual clutch), but I think any modern i6 that's all aluminum would work well. If I go with a BMW engine I'll be super tempted to go with the i6 diesel :zzzzz:

#10 ·
Me too, but FYI, the 2jzge, 7mge and 1jzge are all significantly lighter then the ol 5mge. Yes the turbo bits add up for sure, but most people after swaps seem to end up back at about stock weight or a little less. The 5m's unique dual cam tower and oil cover design are pretty cool, but light they are not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.