'85 Air Intake in pieces...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

'85 Air Intake in pieces...

Hi all, my first question might be a doozy.

I was having trouble starting my '85 MKII the other day. Long story short, the plastic duct that connects on top the of the engine is cracked in several places. I'm looking to replace it with somehow. Old parts or new, I just need it running for now.

(Against my better judgement, I passed on a whole intake on Ebay last year 'cause I thought "I don't have room for that...") Anyway, after much internet searching, I've seen the Raptor racing intakes, but nothing else. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on those?

Plan A was a used part. Plan B was for an aftermarket part. After plan A or B, comes plan F-and-J, for "Flex Tape" and JB Weld...

Thanks for any thoughts on the subject.

Dale.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    i may have what you need laying around - can you send me a pic of what you need exactly ?
    if i have it you can have it for the low-low price of shipping
    --
    tstefan
    Hidden Content

Wow! That was quick! I'll try to post a couple of pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

It worked! The first pic is the (plastic?) intake duct that normally sits directly on top of the engine. (Also normally 1 piece I think...) The second is a lower rubber-type section that is coming apart as well. I have the rest of the components (Air cleaner etc) but those seem intact.

I've had pretty good luck with gluing the plastic portions back together again. I'd first make a reinforcing sleeve of thin aluminum around the entire perimeter and glue to the inside of the center piece, let that cure, then glue the ends back on, then its better than new. Of course duct tape works in a pinch when it breaks in between Midland and El Paso (don't ask me how I know that). But looks like yours has the "feet" and part of one hose nipple missing. I may have some of the rubber pieces if tstefan doesn't. I can rummage through some boxes over the weekend. Just let me know.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

Lol. Yeah, those middle-of-nowhere fixes are the most memorable...
    Thanks for looking. It sounds like this is a common problem, so I feel a little better. I like the idea of a metal form inside the body where the pieces join. That does sound like it would hold well. The feet are gone, but the hose nipple is still in the hose. I entertained the idea of putting everything in my dishwasher to degrease it, but I'm pretty sure my wife would shoot me.

I'll be working and out of pocket for a couple of days, so I probably will be a little slow to respond to anything till the weekend.

Thanks for the info tstefan and pdupler.

That hard plastic piece can be epoxied back together and rubber flex hose can be replaced with a 45 deg and some silicone flex couplers. There's a lot of homemade intake pipe if you want to be creative using PVC pipe, flex hose, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dchein View Post
    LI entertained the idea of putting everything in my dishwasher to degrease it, but I'm pretty sure my wife would shoot me.
    I live in a very old house and for years had a portable dishwasher cabinet on casters. You can still buy them at specialty appliance stores. But when I remodeled the kitchen and installed a new dishwasher with the new cabinets, I kept the old one out in the shop just for washing parts. I hook up the water hose to it, pour in a cup of Simple Green and let it drain into the yard. Works pretty decent, not great, but better than doing as much manually. I always scrape as much of the thick crud off as possible first. This one pre-heats its own water and I think that's kind of a critical feature. But yeah, it kind of leaves a "ring" and would not be very appetizing to use it for dishes afterward.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

CelicaSupra.com Member
    sorry for the delay - here is what i have

LMK if you want them

also if the links are not working let me know and ill email them to you - thansk
    Last edited by tstefan; 03-14-2019 at 02:10 PM.
    --
    tstefan
    Hidden Content

Thx tstefan. If you are willing to part with them, I’d appreciate that very much. I’m learning the hard way not to pass up on parts when they might be available. Hopefully I can return the favor or pay it forward.

Thread Information