Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

7MGTE swap; did you keep AC components?

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  williamb82 
#1 ·
Just like the title says, I'm curious as to how many people kept A/C when doing the 7M swaps. Any noteworthy challenges in doing so? I'm currently planning my swap out and still trying to determine which way I should go with mine.

#2 ·
Yes. Too long ago to remember details tho and I sold the car on so I can't go look to compare. Seems like I vaguely remember taking the 5m and 7m hoses to a shop and having them use the ends to make up a custom set. I remember some things about the swap that stand out but that was apparently so insignificant that it didn't even register. I'm sure somebody will chime in with details but count one vote for most definitely yes here in Texas.

#3 ·
The main issue is keeping the condenser up front and fitting an intercooler as well. The AC compressors are in the same place and essentially the same. You can't easily delete the AC parts under the dash as they're the main part between the intake/fan unit and the heater/distribution unit. But deleting the rest saves a considerable amount of weight; probably 50lbs. And no headaches with leaks and seal kits and all the other stuff that comes with running old AC components.

#5 ·
I'm trying to remember the details, but doesn't the 5m and 7m compressors have different pulleys? And seems like I used the compressor that came with the donor car but the 5m hoses wouldn't connect up to the 7m compressor and the 7m hoses wouldn't connect up to the mk2 so that was why I took them to a hose shop and had hoses custom. Seems like tho it wasn't very expensive because if it was, I would have remembered those details better. Things do register better the more they cost. ;) But maybe I'm remembering a different project altogether. Damn its hell getting old and can't remember stuff.

#6 ·
Give yourself more credit. You’re not that old. You are remembering correctly. I just went through this debate myself as I completed a 7MGTE swap - well still in progress a second time. I opted to completely ditch the A/C out of my car as I’m going for a super clean engine bay. I know it’s hot as hell in Texas but I’m okay with that. Most of the non summer months are actually pretty cool and it doesn’t get super cold here. So there’s a couple months where it’s miserable. Anyway, I opted to ditch the whole automatic a/c system from the car. I sourced the complete HVAC system from a Celica. This gets rid of the “inside unit” box from the car. You replace that with a transition plastic box that connects the heater blower and the heater core. All the a/c lines, crazy vacuum tubes, all that shit are gone. You will be very surprised how clean your engine bay will look without all that crap. You do have to keep a small sensor that bolts to the hood latch and the frame. It’s like a cigar shaped sensor. Apparently the heater and stuff won’t turn on without it. This also frees up room behind the radiator to mount other accessories. But that’s my preference. The OP may want comfort over form. All up to you.

#8 ·
a/c running kills hp... if she is an 80s model dragon your going to have to evacuate the system and replace alot of stuff...because of the refrigerent change to r134a in the 90s..putting r134a in an old system will kill it or wont cool worth a darn.. something to consider...and if you know nothing about replacing or how an a/c system works you will be paying someone to do it for you...and trust me if you have an 80s model car that you are restoring most if not all are going to jack the price way way up to have done at the repair shop. just put the window down and sink that money into parts that you really need....

#9 ·
5m compressor, clutch assembly from an 88 Ford Crown Vic with 5.0 V8. 1 tooth narrower belt. Youll also have to grind some metal off the block side of one bolt hole of the AC compressor mounting bracket to fit over the 5mge motor mount brackets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.