Fender Flare Trim - Mini tech article for 2019

Fender Flare Trim - Mini tech article for 2019

Some may find that getting new rubber fender flare trim is tricky. Our man George at Raptor no longer stocks it and has no plans to change that scenario. Toyota says LOL when you say what year your car is at the parts counter.

So, what's the solution? Well turns out kbox.ca is the current answer and will sell you 22' for $50+shipping. Their product is damned near identical to the original. It comes with a tube of superglue but the consensus here is to use a little bit of general purpose contact cement instead.

Before I found Kbox I had looked at a bunch of universal products. Trim-Lok x1663bt is a very close match. The main difference is that the exposed "bead" is slightly convex rather than concave. What I like about it is that there is a much larger surface on the back side that has 3M double-sided automotive tape already in place. It's just peel and stick. You can buy 25' of this on Amazon for about $35USD.

So just another option, maybe want to pin this info in case kbox stops offering the product at some point. A few photos below - note that the Trim-Lok stuff is printed on as it was a free sample sent by the manufacturer)

Original Vs. Trim-Lok

Trim-Lok Vs. Kbox

Back Side
    WTB: Nose Emblem

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info. Was wondering what I would do with those moldings during the restoration process. Is there any way for me to save this page somewhere so I don't loose it aside from adding it to my google bookmarks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shyzah View Post
    Thanks for the info. Was wondering what I would do with those moldings during the restoration process. Is there any way for me to save this page somewhere so I don't loose it aside from adding it to my google bookmarks.
    Bookmarks is probably smarter but you can "subscribe" and come find this later that way.

After dicking around with glue I would've bought the tape-on version personally.
    WTB: Nose Emblem

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Yeah contact cement or my preference, liquid butyl from a caulking tube. The KBox stuff is the original actually. I did the initial test fit for both of them. They are both good, Raptor and KBox. Nice to know there is a generic alternative if KBox ever stops selling it.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Thread Information