Hellica build

Thread: Hellica build

Hellica build

So New to the site and many may say I don't belong here after they read this but I could use some help. So about 3 years ago a friend died and left me his 81 Supra. The car had not left the garage in years due to his cancer but I had remembered him having it running at one time but it need a few small things. So well clearing out his property I hauled it up on a trailer brought it home and rolled it off into one of my covered sheds. 3 years later well working with a program I run were we take young men that have no dads and work on cars and stuff we decide its finally time to get to the Supra!! So we get the hood opened up and do what any knuckle headed motor head would do and get the jump pack and starting fluid out and what do you know it fires right up and ran!! So there we are myself and these young men all fired up hearing this thing run and run pretty well all thing considering. As I stand there gazing into the engine bay for the first time for the most part I realize I am staring at a 20R.... Correct me if I am wrong but the 81 didn't have a 20R. So best I can tell I do not have a real 81 Supra but just a Celica Gt that some one has swapped the side panels out for. " There's the kick in paints" So forgive me for the long introductory but it though it important to explain the importance of the car to me and the young men Im working with. All that being said I still hope to build this car but not as a Supra but a Hellica. So being an old school big block guy that was my fist thought but that's not the way the boys want to go so Im looking for a budget friendly (I personally fund all projects) Turbo something swap/build. Being there is not a lot of support for this car out I thought my best luck would be a Supra forum. I have looked into a top blown 22R but I'm kinda out of my element here being I have owed but never built a turbo car. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Post pics and members can help identify the vehicle. Look for a data plate on the firewall, also.
    83-Red P-type , 6M,. LJM strut-bar, RC intake,Thorley header,Tenzo 17" wheels, cross-drilled rotors, Eibach springs, KYB shocks, 85 hatch and int., 82 header panel=Frankenkar

87 4 Runner, White, 22RE, 302K on original motor, still strong

"This car is so loud , I heard you before I saw you!" said the nice policeman. Hidden Content

What did they do, just replace the Celica's B-pillar garnish with that from the Supra and other badges?

Toyota sold a turbocharged version of the 22r in trucks and 4-runners in the late 80s and the trucks continue to be very popular so that's maybe a start for research, i.e. forums and websites related to the Toyota trucks of the era. We have lots of general info here as lots of us have built turbocharged M engines, but we won't have anything specific to the R motors. But realize that the R engined Celicas were raced, Dan Gurney's AAR and Toyota Motorsport in the early 80s and there was lots of power to be had out of those engines even without turbocharging, just doing standard old hot rodder tricks, compression, cams, porting, headers, carbs, etc. I'm not sure what's available today, but we in the Supra world used to be a bit jealous of the aftermarket support there was for the R motors while we were stuck with spending crazy money on custom fabrication.

If you're looking for ideas, and I assume some educational value for the youngsters, if I had at my disposal a 2nd gen Celica that was in decent shape but would cost ten times more than its worth to put back to original, I think I'd build a Long Beach Gran Prix tribute car.

https://autonxt.net/celebs-race-on-s...for-last-time/

Scroll down to about the middle of the page. I came real close to buying one of the real deals once upon a time. Kinda kick myself for being indecisive until it was already sold. But if you did that, I think you could have something that you could auction off at the end of it and raise money for the next project.
    Last edited by pdupler; 04-14-2019 at 12:20 PM.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I would love some high res pics with size reference for those decals. They would be pretty easy to reproduce i think.
    Hidden Content 86 parts car maybe some day race car? 3x cars, 36x brake caliper pistons.
    "You need to update your signature Gamble" - Dave

If you're VIN number has "RA" in it's a Celica and "MA"=Celica Supra. From your title I thought you were swapping a Hellcat motor in it LOL

...came for the hellcat swap - leaving disappointed.

--billyM
    White 85P - Blue/Silver 85P
    -------------------------------
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Yeah as mentioned, I would figure out what you actually have there. The bodies of the mk1 Supra and the regular mk2 Celica its based on are not that different, its very easy to mistake them. And the hatches swap over so its possible you have a celica with a Supra hatch or emblem added. Again, show us some pics and we can tell you or check the vin.

It seems unlikely someone would swap a 22r into a Supra. Its more work then just putting another inline 6 in, and definitely is not a superior motor. Regardless, it sounds like you are committed to doing something with this car so I would recommend a more modern power plant, if you have anyone in your group who can figure out wiring (or follow wiring guides on the internet). Here's the hot motor for an old Celica right now...

The 6spd ones can be had for about $1200 us with the 6spd tranny, and the auto ones (which make a little less hp, but only marginally so) can be had for around $800. These are the last rear wheel drive performance 4 cylinders Toyota ever developed for a sports car, in collaboration with Yamaha as with all their great motors, and they are at the bottom of their depreciation curve and at their peak supply curve currently. These are from Japanese market Altezza sedans. I'm helping a buddy put one in an old Celica right now and they are an awesome match for the chassis.

Whatever you do, I would encourage your to move away from the 20r\22r. They are really old truck motors and they don't boost phenomenally well and there are very limited naturally aspirated gains to be had. That said, the old Toyota truck guys still love them and supply is getting rough so they pay top dollar. You can probably sell it as a running motor for like $500 to $800 bucks as is and pretty much fund a swap to a much better platform. If you do have a Supra, a 90s 2jzge or a Lexus 1uzfe would be a good choice. Both can be had for very cheap and will get you into the 220+hp club, plus like boost.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

When talking engine swaps, the primary difference between a re-badged Celica and a true MA40 Supra is about 6" of nose length due to the standard I-6 engine, making the option of swapping in a 5/6M, 7M or 2JZ pretty much out of the question
    Multi-Generational Supra Syndrome afflicted in BLACK, RED, WHITE and BLUE
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thread Information