Cant find the oil filter? (Noob question)

Cant find the oil filter? (Noob question)

Im really new to working on cars, ive fixed a couple electrical issues in my 1985, but decided to try to do my first oil change. Ive got a Haynes manual and the official manual, but for the life of me cannot find the oil filter on my car. Ive found the oil drain, im almost certain, at least. (Little bolt under the car, not concealed by the cover)

Is it under the hard plastic cover thing bolted to the underside? One manual has a picture and says "near the engine mount", but thats not much help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Traumkampfer View Post
    Im really new to working on cars, ive fixed a couple electrical issues in my 1985, but decided to try to do my first oil change. Ive got a Haynes manual and the official manual, but for the life of me cannot find the oil filter on my car. Ive found the oil drain, im almost certain, at least. (Little bolt under the car, not concealed by the cover)

Is it under the hard plastic cover thing bolted to the underside? One manual has a picture and says "near the engine mount", but thats not much help.
    You should be able to see it from the top, on the passenger side, near the engine mount. There are only two engine mounts so it can only be near two places. We all start somewhere.
    WTB: Nose Emblem

Buy a new oil filter first to help you get a sense of what they look like. It's round and sometimes covered with oil and dirt.
    83-Red P-type , 6M,. LJM strut-bar, RC intake,Thorley header,Tenzo 17" wheels, cross-drilled rotors, Eibach springs, KYB shocks, 85 hatch and int., 82 header panel=Frankenkar

87 4 Runner, White, 22RE, 302K on original motor, still strong

"This car is so loud , I heard you before I saw you!" said the nice policeman. Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    The filter is under the exhaust manifold in the center area. it is hard to remove without an oil filter "wrench" ,

The oil drain plug is in the oil pan, left side, in the lower corner in the rear sump area of the oil pan, Hopefully you get approx 5 qts. out!

there are a few sizes of filters one small and one larger. so you need to get an idea of it's diameter to get the proper removal tool.

Get a feel for the mounting angle when you remove it , because you have to start the threading on of a new filter, and you really can't see the filter easily when it is being mounted under the exhaust manifold.

After a complete oil drain , I put in about 4.5 qts. of oil in and check the level after it has been run.

Please use genuine Toyota oil filters.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Toy...MAAOSwe0Zcikaa
    Add a little oil to the filter and the gasket B-4 installing.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

Thread Information