New Supra Owner

Thread: New Supra Owner

New Supra Owner

I've long lusted for the lines of a MK2 Supra, ever since seeing a high school friend's dad bringing the new ones home back in the mid-eighties. I always described the look as that of a true Japanese muscle car, even though the I-6 doesn't live up to the styling. I'm a big fan of American muscle cars, particularly the Ford and Mercury variety, but not the run of the mill Mustang crowd--gotta have something different. I came across my 85 Supra while searching for my next toy and I thought it would look really cool next to my 1966 Ford Galaxie--a nice contrast.

The Supra looks badder than it is, but that's OK, its a nice car that gets a lot of looks. The MK 2 is the only Supra I care to own, even though the later versions have far more power available--they don't have the looks. The MK 3 is OK, but the MK4 has very feminine styling in my opinion. I had many cars that are off the beaten path/low production numbers, so hunting for those hard to find parts is nothing new, but it seems these MK 2's may be more difficult to find parts for than expected. Fortunately, I don't need many.

I've been educating myself the last couple weeks on this website--some good info--I look forward to delving deeper into the Supra and the website.
    1966 Ford Galaxie 500XL Z Code 390 4bbl C-6
    1985 Supra-Clean-Stock,-Low Miles

" The things you own end up owning you"--Tyler Durden

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Welcome. I can relate. I was in high school when the mk2 was a new car and of course I couldn't afford one then. Had to wait till I finished college and bought a used one. But like you, muscle cars were just fully depreciated when I was 15 so I started with a 66 Mustang coupe. My older brother had a 65 Fastback and sister had a 62 Fairlane. I've also had a fully restored 68 Mustang later but I sold it about five years ago. In 2007, my brother came into a little bit of money and wanted to get back into the car hobby after years of doing the family/minivan thing. We decided to buy cars that we could enjoy together. Tried to talk him into a Supra but he didn't catch the bug like I did. We tracked down his 65 fastback but the current owner would not sell it for any price. If he couldn't have his original, then it would have to be something other than a Mustang. We both liked C3 Corvettes so we bought a pair of coupes, mine a 69 and his a 72. Got really deep into Corvette restoration and NCRS. We usually participate in at least one car show a month with the Corvettes.

I'll take the Supra to a show maybe once or twice a year, but its kind of a fish out of water among all the muscle cars and hot rods. I keep waiting for the 80s Japanese sports cars to become popular like the muscle cars did, but I think our generation is about ten years behind financially, i.e. saving for retirement, getting the kids outta the house and paying off mortgages, compared to where the baby boomers were at our age. So I guess Supras still have a few years to go. You probably got in at a good time, tho, yes, finding parts, particularly interior and trim parts is a huge challenge.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

Well pdupler, I have long had the solution to some of those hindrances to the enjoyment of life--don't have kids, don't buy a house (you never truly own it anyways), and as for retirement...I plan on dying before then This philosophy has allowed me to enjoy some cars and their mechanical modification and revival (live for the moment). 1968 Cougar 351W 4spd, 1971 Torino GT 351C 4V, Montego MX wagon, 351C 4spd, Detroit Locker w/Cyclone goodies, 1989 Texas DPS Mustang (back in black...and white), Dodge Omni turbo from hell...just to name a few. It's good to be off the beaten path--something different. The short time I've had my maroon/red Supra has surprised me, as it has elicited a fair amount of attention and "thumbs up" from a fairly eclectic group of people. It will be interesting when the girlfriend and I take the Galaxie and Supra to a car show, even though I'm not a car show guy. I prefer to drive my cars, not park them on doilies like so many seem to do--I put some miles on my cars. I think the MK2 Supra will be a collectible, if not already in certain circles. The car just has a classic, aggressive look. I will say the Supra handles better than most of my old machines, except the Galaxie handles real nice for what it is (that mid-60's NASCAR suspension)

Parts for these will be a challenge, I've already noticed.
    1966 Ford Galaxie 500XL Z Code 390 4bbl C-6
    1985 Supra-Clean-Stock,-Low Miles

" The things you own end up owning you"--Tyler Durden

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 66Galaxie View Post
    1989 Texas DPS Mustang (back in black...and white)
    I went to UT in Austin and at the time was driving an 80 Mercury Capri RS (used mk2 Supras were still a couple thousand dollars too expensive). One day I drove by the DPS operations center on W Koenig Lane and saw a fearful sight. A car hauler truck was unloading a bunch of Mustang coupes, but they weren't black and white. Some were solid black, but some were different colors, I remember red, yellow and green, but definitely set up for DPS use.

One of my bucket list cars tho is the ASC McLaren Capri Convertible. Back when I had my Capri 30+ years ago, there were a couple of the McLaren running around town. I'd wave at the owners but they'd just give me a puzzled look like "Am I supposed know you?", apparently oblivious that I was just acknowledging the automotive kinship. I've looked at a couple for sale over the years, but apparently its hard to find one that hasn't suffered from excessive body flex.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

Most of us go with an engine upgrade for more HP. It's nice to match the look with a more powerful engine.
    83-Red P-type , 6M,. LJM strut-bar, RC intake,Thorley header,Tenzo 17" wheels, cross-drilled rotors, Eibach springs, KYB shocks, 85 hatch and int., 82 header panel=Frankenkar

87 4 Runner, White, 22RE, 302K on original motor, still strong

"This car is so loud , I heard you before I saw you!" said the nice policeman. Hidden Content

Welcome to the site. Quite a nice line-up of cars went thru your hands.
    I'm glad I can compare (kind of), as I also own an 85 !
    One thing for sure, this place has by far the most information about the MK2.
    With chance, you could be at the proper place at the proper time to grab that rare part passing by. But you need to be regular and react quickly. BTDT.
    Again, welcome, and post pic in another forum section, as this one prevents images.
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily driver, RIP...), 2002 E39 ///M5 LMB Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

The MK4 has a feminine styling in my opinion, too. It reminds me of the smiling face of the Miata. Having said that, I would love to own an MK4 simply for it's legendary status. Got an MK3 once. It is a very heavy car. I drove it for 6 months and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I donated it to a charity in the end. Love my MK2. I never get tired of looking at it. It's my daily driver.

Thread Information