Supra Newb from NC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Supra Newb from NC

I've had half a dozen 84-85 Celica GT-S hatchbacks over the years, but finally picked up a manual 85 Supra P-type. Clean, one-owner, just under 80k miles, bone stock. White over burgandy leather.

Originally, I was planning on building this thing for some auto-x and track use, but it's too clean. Might have to keep it stock. I can't bring myself to cut it up, haha.
    85 P-Type, White over Burgandy Leather, bone stock

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

It looks good.

Absolutely DO NOT start doing a bunch of modifications on a clean example. We have way too few of these cars that have survived to be in collectible condition today. We're just on the cusp of some serious value as my generation will be the ones to be nostalgic over these cars and we mostly still have adult kids living at home. We're financially about ten years behind where the baby boomers were at our age as far as saving for retirement, paying off mortgages, etc. so the Supra has a few more years to go, but given the rarity, I think people are going to be shocked what they will ultimately bring once Gen X reaches executive management career levels. We've already seen a couple of museum quality examples in the mid to high $20s and the driver quality ones like yours will be soon to follow. And unlike muscle cars for which parts are reproduced in China, Supras are NOT restoreable so the current survivors are all there will ever be. Nobody is going to start hauling old rusty Supras in from the farmer's pasture and putting them back on the road again.

If you really wanted to autocross a mk2, and you'd have to really want to do a Supra specifically for emotional reasons because they're seriously old technology and not that competitive anymore, but there's still plenty of "marginal" mk2s that can be had for cheap and bunches of them that are already modified beyond return. Too many Supra owners were like me. I modified the heck out of mine throughout the 1990s to do autocross, and because I was young and really too poor to have a car hobby at the time, I sold off my original wheels and even the original engine and transmission to help finance my addiction. I know very well if I'd left mine all original, it'd be worth way more today and the about $12,000 I spent on the mods would have been worth over $60,000 today if I'd put it in the stock market instead. I don't know what you paid, but I believe values for examples worthy of a local parking lot car show are set to double in the next five to ten years. If you modify it, then I think you cap the value potential and probably spend more on the mods than you'll get back.

If you absolutely can't resist the urge to modify, don't cut, drill, weld, glue or paint anything and keep all the original parts, organized, labeled and in properly safe storage so that it can be returned to stock easily. If its only a matter of a three-day weekend worth of work to put it back to original, then you lose only what you spent on the modifications. However, if you modify it beyond that amount of work, then future buyers start deducting for the labor and some "risk" factor in case some of those original parts are missing out of your box, break during installation (they are crispy) or just don't work anymore.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pdupler View Post
    Absolutely DO NOT start doing a bunch of modifications on a clean example. We have way too few of these cars that have survived to be in collectible condition today. We're just on the cusp of some serious value as my generation will be the ones to be nostalgic over these cars and we mostly still have adult kids living at home. We're financially about ten years behind where the baby boomers were at our age as far as saving for retirement, paying off mortgages, etc. so the Supra has a few more years to go, but given the rarity, I think people are going to be shocked what they will ultimately bring once Gen X reaches executive management career levels. We've already seen a couple of museum quality examples in the mid to high $20s and the driver quality ones like yours will be soon to follow. And unlike muscle cars for which parts are reproduced in China, Supras are NOT restoreable so the current survivors are all there will ever be. Nobody is going to start hauling old rusty Supras in from the farmer's pasture and putting them back on the road again.

If you really wanted to autocross a mk2, and you'd have to really want to do a Supra specifically for emotional reasons because they're seriously old technology and not that competitive anymore, but there's still plenty of "marginal" mk2s that can be had for cheap and bunches of them that are already modified beyond return. Too many Supra owners were like me. I modified the heck out of mine throughout the 1990s to do autocross, and because I was young and really too poor to have a car hobby at the time, I sold off my original wheels and even the original engine and transmission to help finance my addiction. I know very well if I'd left mine all original, it'd be worth way more today and the about $12,000 I spent on the mods would have been worth over $60,000 today if I'd put it in the stock market instead. I don't know what you paid, but I believe values for examples worthy of a local parking lot car show are set to double in the next five to ten years. If you modify it, then I think you cap the value potential and probably spend more on the mods than you'll get back.

If you absolutely can't resist the urge to modify, don't cut, drill, weld, glue or paint anything and keep all the original parts, organized, labeled and in properly safe storage so that it can be returned to stock easily. If its only a matter of a three-day weekend worth of work to put it back to original, then you lose only what you spent on the modifications. However, if you modify it beyond that amount of work, then future buyers start deducting for the labor and some "risk" factor in case some of those original parts are missing out of your box, break during installation (they are crispy) or just don't work anymore.
    That pretty much sums up the conclusion I came to. It needs a few minor things, so I'll be looking for those. Otherwise, I'm going through basic maintenance and clean-up in the short term, and then looking for hidden rust that I'm sure is lurking somewhere. I'll be reading Suprafiend's build threads to know more of where I need to be looking.

you have been lucky coming across it.
    i am wondering how many are still hiding, and would really like to find one myself.

Welcome to the home of celica supra!
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily driver, RIP...), 2002 E39 ///M5 LMB Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Careful with those out of date tires, those things are a time bomb. Super clean car, enjoy that thing.
    Hidden Content 86 parts car maybe some day race car? 3x cars, 36x brake caliper pistons.
    "You need to update your signature Gamble" - Dave

No doubt, they're dry-rotted pretty horribly and not leaving the garage until replacements show up. Figuring out replacements will be fun though since I don't care for the BFGs. I'll do some searching on this, but any recommendations are welcome.

First steps at this point are tires and a battery (7 years old, but still functional for now). Fresh fluids in all systems for peace of mind, and since I don't see a timing belt in the service history, it'll get replaced even though it looks pretty new. While that is apart, might as well do all the cam tower seals that are leaking.

Once the basic mechanicals are taken care of, I'll be working on a deep cleaning and start looking for hidden rust as mentioned earlier. Thankfully, there's very little visible anywhere, including the hatch, fender wells, spare tire well, etc. Having had enough old Celicas in the past, I know it's lurking somewhere though, so I've got to find it. Car has always been garaged, so that helps a lot.

Regarding trim pieces mentioned earlier- almost every piece inside and out is in good shape. The only flaws I've found so far are:
    The passenger side window defrost vent has a crack
    The wire to the driver's side visor light is frayed
    The hood blanket has a few scratched up areas

Otherwise, the leather on the driver's side bolster is a little worn. There's a single door ding and two small dings in the roof. Really clean car overall that just needs a little love ($$) to bring it back to full glory. I'll be driving it regularly (non-rainy days) though since the miles are already high enough that it shouldn't lower future value too much.

I'll try to get more pictures in the next few days.

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraGuy31's Avatar
    Welcome to the home of not too many supras. Glad to see another one finally coming to NC. Most if not all the great cars are either south of here or everywhere west of the Mississippi. Im dying to get my hands on another one but my luck isn't so great as I live on the eastern side of NC. Either way welcome and congrats on a very nice ride and also as the Master (Phil Dupler my Idol) has spoken don't molest a perfect car. You will regret it.
    84 7M Powered Supra (Sandy)

Wow - NC is getting some action these days.

Nice find and as all others said, a good example of one to keep close to stock.

--billyM
    White 85P - Blue/Silver 85P
    -------------------------------
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Pretty Dragon, congratulations. I can not agree more with pdupler, and I'm happy to see that in America there are more and more fans who value cars in their original state. Well-designed cars like the Celica Supra are works of art, and I think no one would think that it could improve a "Picasso" by making modifications ...

Thread Information