Supra Newb from NC - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by tomitoyo View Post
    Pretty Well-designed cars like the Celica Supra are works of art, and I think no one would think that it could improve a "Picasso" by making modifications ...
    Of course like Picasso, the 80s wedges styling is somewhat polarizing. People either love them or they hate them. We're all here because we love them and Toyota just got it right. For a while it was popular to add fiberglass body kits, but I never liked any.

Performance modifications have always been popular and granted, the mk2 is ancient technology. Of course the mk2 came out during a time when emissions rules far, far exceeded the available technology. By the 90s, technology was advancing so rapidly that the Supra was already outclassed in most all racing forms. Age of the car didn't matter, in autocross we were up against brand new cars of recent design and somewhat embarrassing to be so much slower than brand new economy cars. Of course it was much easier to add power and improve handling than it was to actually learn how to drive so most of us did that. However, I didn't originally buy a Supra because of its performance (I only started autocross after I'd already put 100K miles on it). I bought one because they were the sexiest non-exotic car on the road when I was 16 years old and promised myself that I was going to get one as soon as I could afford it. In 1982 I would ride my bicycle to the Toyota dealer and drool on them till the salesmen ran me off. Performance wouldn't have made any difference to me at that age because it was all about looking cool. Very few people ever raced or cared anything about racing, but everybody cared about impressing their friends. When my generation starts getting close to 60 years old in a couple of years, we aren't going to buy a collector car to take to the track. At this point its just about fulfilling that teenage dream of owning a mk2 Supra and for some maybe taking it to a car show to impress our friends.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

In 1982 I was 18 years old and the first supra I saw was the mk3, which was the first one sold in Spain, but when in 2013 I saw an advertisement for a mk2 of the 84 for sale I knew I had to buy it, after buying it I discovered little by little what is a supra mk2, and now I have clear that I will preserve it and enjoy it while I can.

Obviously, I'm a fan of the styling. The MK2 has the right balance of chiseled lines and elegant curves to me. More importantly, I've missed the "analog" feeling of a car compared to all the newer stuff feeling so fake or "digital".
    I started autocrossing an 85 GT-S hatchback in 1995 or so and always loved the feel of the car. It was never going to be the fastest out there, but it did what I wanted. I've run a number of different cars since then, but still haven't found anything with that feeling of light nimbleness, though my FR-S was the closest.

I've got a fast car otherwise, so I'll clean this one up and use it as Toyota intended- an awesome grand touring car.

Upon a bit more looking, I'm missing the battery tie down, so gotta order a few parts there.

Also, anyone have a source for burgandy leather that matches the original closely? The usual bolster wear is the only flaw in the seats, otherwise they look excellent. Even that is just worn, no splits or tears. No reason to redo the whole seat if I can get a single bolster wrapped to match. I saw mention of someone using two headrests for their material, but yeah, good luck finding those, haha.
    85 P-Type, White over Burgandy Leather, bone stock

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member discoelk's Avatar
    Nice car. I'd have no problem modifying it. Just keep it period correct and don't go nuts. We don't need anymore v8 swaps.
    David H
    85 P, LS6/R154/3.58/TrueTrac etc

Finally got a few minutes to start looking over the car in a bit more detail, though I haven't taken anything apart yet. Having some experience with this gen Celica and having read the three Seamus builds gave me a starting place to begin looking for rust. Good news is that there's minimal visible anywhere. Looks like someone sprayed the heck out of this thing early or at the beginning of its life with loads of wax: Inner panels in front of and behind the rear wheels show no signs of rust on either side:

I did find that the power antenna was aftermarket, but it works at least.

Spare tire well is pretty clean, but the main drain plug might have a touch of rust around it, I'll have to examine more.

Looks like a little surface rust on the bottom of the panel between the rear bumper and gas tank.

Hatch is pretty clean with no rust on the bottom or inside any holes visible from the inside. There is some rust at the edge of the weatherstripping between the hatch and the right side bottom edge of the spoiler. I'll have to remove that to see how bad it really is.

At the hatch hinges, there's a tinge of discoloration at the seam between the hatch area and roof skin. Definitely something to look into.

Popped the rear shock caps and didn't see a speck of anything inside either side.

Both doors look clean without a speck on them.

Underneath and undercoated wheel wells all look really clean. Stupid factory jack points/pinch welds are all bent up, but no rust at least.

Sunroof has one spot on the leading edge that'd been touched up at some point. I'll have to look deeper into the sunroof at some point.

The hood is clean except for one small spot near the latch.

Windshield cowling area looks spotless

Under the battery tray looks clean from what I can see, and much of the underside of the hood and inner fenders were also sprayed in wax. I haven't gotten to review the lower radiator support yet.

The worst rust I've found so far is at the leading of the PS fender, just aft of the parking light. Looks like contact occurred at some point, and even this is minor.

So far, all of these areas were only examined where easily visible without much disassembly, but it's encouraging. Since the car is surprisingly clean, I'll likely be following Seamus instructions and sealing up any and all seams as possible to minimize future issues. As time allows, I'll dig deeper, but in the meantime, I'm making parts and to-do lists for the car. Most are generic for a car that's been sitting for a bit. Fluid changes, top end gaskets/seals, timing belt, hoses, belts, tires, battery, etc. This thing leaks some serious oil from the cam towers, but the timing belt/covers are dry, even though the timing belt seems to have too much play to me.

More pictures to come over the weekend.
    85 P-Type, White over Burgandy Leather, bone stock

Thread Information