Symptoms of a bad igniter? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Computer / electronics parts store.
    Used for CPU (processors) and power transistors.
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily driver, RIP...), 2002 E39 ///M5 LMB Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    OK, I know about the thermal paste since I have used it when replacing the processer in my HP laptop. But I am lost as to where we are talking about using it. The igniter/coil sits just behind the fuse block. Are we talking about opening up the coil, which is on top, or the cast aluminum housing it sits on that has the cooling fins?
    Thanks in advance,

Bob

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Also, could someone post a photo of the "check engine connector" that the manual says is located near the distributor. I found three connectors that are not connected to anything. Two have rubber caps, and one does not. Is one of those the "check engine connector"?

Bob

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Bob, see TSRM link attached

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...aspx?S=FI&P=22

your looking for a 2 wire connector "T" and "E1" located near the distributor near the strut housing
    Regards,
    Arch
    '86 Supra MA67
    Brullen 2.5" Exhaust, HKS Fly w/7MGE clutch,ST Springs, RC Intake & TB, 2.8GT & XX emblems, Factory Add on Rear Shoulder belts, Pioneer DEH-P2000 AM/FM/CD w/CDS-P5000 CD Player, Compomotive CXNs 8x16

Thermal paste to use when opening up the ignitor...NOT the coil

IF you have owned the Supra for a while, you probably have a non original ignitor, which generally last longer then the factory installed one...my lasted to 75k then died...engine stalled once or twice restarted got home then DOA...
    Regards,
    Arch
    '86 Supra MA67
    Brullen 2.5" Exhaust, HKS Fly w/7MGE clutch,ST Springs, RC Intake & TB, 2.8GT & XX emblems, Factory Add on Rear Shoulder belts, Pioneer DEH-P2000 AM/FM/CD w/CDS-P5000 CD Player, Compomotive CXNs 8x16

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Thanks to all for the info. I purchased the car in 1987 when it had around 35,000 miles. Now has 184,000, and I do not ever recall changing the coil or igniter. Perhaps my shop did at some time when other work was being done; I will have to check the receipts.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    connectors.jpg

OK, when all else fails, refer to the literature! My 1984 wiring diagram shows that the check engine connector is yellow and has two wires going into it, one yellow-black and one brown. So I believe of the three shown in the photo it is the one on the left with the rubber cap. The one with a cap and only one wire seems to be the OX Check connector, and the one with no cap and three wires is the EFI Service connector.

Am I correct?

And yes I do have both a factory service manual and a Haynes manual. Both show the same poor drawing of the connector that I feel is pretty much worthless as far as being able to identify which one is which. A photo would have been much better.

BTW, I would certainly like to have a cap for the one that is missing, if anyone out there has a spare they would be willing to part with.

Thanks,
    Bob

Bob yes correct and there is a cap mounted on the strut tower for the capless connector...

IIRC the connected is marked E and T1 I think??
    Regards,
    Arch
    '86 Supra MA67

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Well, I'm beginning to believe in Divine intervention. The missing cap had popped off the side of the shock tower and was laying on top of the frame rail. Probably has been there for years! Thanks for the help.

Thread Information