Symptoms of a bad igniter?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Symptoms of a bad igniter?

I've been wondering what's causing my '86 to misfire and fall on it's face at idle as well as the horrible acceleration. Couldn't help but notice there's a new ticking sound coming from the coil/igniter as well, really hoping that's not what's failing because I've heard of the dreadful search it can be to find another, any advice/help would be awesome, thanks guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Try ebay and this site for a used one. I keep a backup ignitor in my rear cargo.
    83-Red P-type , 6M,. LJM strut-bar, RC intake,Thorley header,Tenzo 17" wheels, cross-drilled rotors, Eibach springs, KYB shocks, 85 hatch and int., 82 header panel=Frankenkar

87 4 Runner, White, 22RE, 302K on original motor, still strong

"This car is so loud , I heard you before I saw you!" said the nice policeman. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TakamineGB400 View Post
    I've been wondering what's causing my '86 to misfire and fall on it's face at idle as well as the horrible acceleration. Couldn't help but notice there's a new ticking sound coming from the coil/igniter as well, really hoping that's not what's failing because I've heard of the dreadful search it can be to find another, any advice/help would be awesome, thanks guys
    Check the coil wire that goes to the distributor, also make sure the coil it self is well grounded. If you're hearing noises that sounds like high voltage leak, this is common on failed wires.

Poor grounding can mimic failure also.

What you're describing does sound like a failed coil or coil wire, but check all possible connections and go from that point forward.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Don't forget that there are diagnostic codes that can be read that may give an indication that the Igniter has failed/is failing.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...aspx?S=FI&P=22
    How to read the Codes

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...aspx?S=FI&P=25
    Code Table

If the Igniter is starting to fail, it is probably going to intermittently flag code 14.

It' just too easy to forget that this function is available to you.
    Black 1983 P Type 5 Spd, Cloth Interior, BBK,HRE 17" Wheels, HKS Exhaust
    White 1984 P Type Auto, Leather Interior, Sunroof, Digital Dash

Typically an when an ignitor fails...you would experience the engine shutting down a couple of times then able to restart...then fails completely without warning not long after...

Thats with an original ignitor from the factory...
    Regards,
    Arch
    '86 Supra MA67
    Brullen 2.5" Exhaust, HKS Fly w/7MGE clutch,ST Springs, RC Intake & TB, 2.8GT & XX emblems, Factory Add on Rear Shoulder belts, Pioneer DEH-P2000 AM/FM/CD w/CDS-P5000 CD Player, Compomotive CXNs 8x16

What Arch describe also happend to me in 1990.
    As a preventive maintenance, it is possible to open up the igniter and replace the dryed-up thermal compound paste between the transistor and case. Because when it fails from overtemp, that is it.
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily driver, RIP...), 2002 E39 ///M5 LMB Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by RedP85 View Post
    As a preventive maintenance, it is possible to open up the igniter and replace the dryed-up thermal compound paste between the transistor and case. Because when it fails from overtemp, that is it.

Wow, never thought of that, but it makes sense!

When my 85 igniter went bad, it did not give any advance wanting. Here is my thread to the solution I found. https://www.celicasupra.com/forums/s.../topics/109401

CelicaSupra.com Member KJK_Texas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedP85 View Post
    THIS!!!!
    This is the best thing you can do for your 3 decades old igniters.
    The heat sink compound has dried out and is no longer doing its very important job.
    The case is heavily finned for a reason.
    Keep it fresh and the igniter should last forever.
    Hidden Content 6m/ 5-speed/ White/ Burgundy leather

Where do we find the paste?

Thread Information