Aftermarket Ignition Replacing Ignitor?

Aftermarket Ignition Replacing Ignitor?

After all the reading I've done here and elsewhere on the wide, wide world of web, I see the ignitor is a potential game-ender for a Supra, given the lack of availability of replacement parts. Given this unfortunate information, I've been seaching for info on how to work around a dead ignitor with aftermarket parts. I understand used ignitors may be available, but I prefer new parts if possible. Has anyone here replaced the stock ignition system on the 5M? Or found other ignition control modules that will work in place of the Toyota "ignitor"?

My car runs great presently--I'm just trying to get ahead of the curve in case I have problems. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    1966 Ford Galaxie 500XL Z Code 390 4bbl C-6
    1985 Supra-Clean-Stock,-Low Miles

" The things you own end up owning you"--Tyler Durden

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

There's plenty of options out there. The nuclear option is an aftermarket ECU that will allow you to use almost anything in reason. You should be able to use most Toyota ignitors provided you're willing to switch out the electrical connectors. They fundamentally all work about the same.

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Also, take your ignititor apart and replace the heat dissipating paste to prevent it from failing in the first place. The paste is now 30+ years old and has hardened and dried, also they could have used more of it from the factory.

There are replacement coil options too.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Thread Information