Remote Oil Filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remote Oil Filter

Has anyone installed a remote oil filter on a 5M? The stock location of the filter is horrible, and a remote adapter seems in order. Has anyone relocated their oil filter? If so, whose kit did you use and where did you install it?

Thanks!!
    1966 Ford Galaxie 500XL Z Code 390 4bbl C-6
    1985 Supra-Clean-Stock,-Low Miles

" The things you own end up owning you"--Tyler Durden

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

What's so hard about it? You can see it right from the top. Personally I don't like these kits since its so easy to get wrong and anything goes wrong with a hose you're out a motor.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMk2 View Post
    What's so hard about it? You can see it right from the top. Personally I don't like these kits since its so easy to get wrong and anything goes wrong with a hose you're out a motor.
    Yes, I can see it, but that doesn't make it any easier to remove and install a filter. There is very little room to use the filter wrench, and I've used a couple different types.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Everyone who has added a ct-26 turbo has a relocation kit because the pipes are in the way. So check the threads related to 5mgte. I can't remember where I got mine 20 some odd years ago, probably was a universal kit from Summit Racing, but I didn't use the hoses or fittings that came with the kit, rather I used a much larger hose, some very expensive high-temp hydraulic hose that I got from a local industrial hose shop, and ran them so as there weren't any bends, just long swooping curves to minimize pressure drop. With the turbo piping, we've got to have angled fittings off the block, but try to avoid 90s as that's a pressure drop. I hung mine on the frame rail on the left side which is a long hose run. I worry about it all the time but its been across country, autocrossed two seasons and held up for 20 years so far, although that's only about 8,000 miles in total.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

Quote Originally Posted by 66Galaxie View Post
    Yes, I can see it, but that doesn't make it any easier to remove and install a filter. There is very little room to use the filter wrench, and I've used a couple different types.
    You're putting the oil filter on wrong if you can't unscrew it by hand, but if you do need to use the socket kind that fit over the end vs the plier type. But if you do want a remote filter kit any for a Ford will fit.

Agreed, use the socket kind with a rachet---no big whoop and I also think it's fairly easy to work on where it is.
    83-Red P-type , 6M,. LJM strut-bar, RC intake,Thorley header,Tenzo 17" wheels, cross-drilled rotors, Eibach springs, KYB shocks, 85 hatch and int., 82 header panel=Frankenkar

87 4 Runner, White, 22RE, 302K on original motor, still strong

"This car is so loud , I heard you before I saw you!" said the nice policeman. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMk2 View Post
    You're putting the oil filter on wrong if you can't unscrew it by hand, but if you do need to use the socket kind that fit over the end vs the plier type. But if you do want a remote filter kit any for a Ford will fit.
    If you are only installing a filter hand tight, you are not installing it properly. Most filters need to be installed hand tight, then an additional turn spec is required, which can vary from one filter application to another. There is a certain amount of gasket compression the manufacturer specifies for each filter/application.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I had an HKS one on my A80 for about 3 years before one of the hoses failed ! Almost lost my 2JZ...IMHO not worth it !!!!

B

And if you use hoses bmrs nascar?

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 66Galaxie View Post
    If you are only installing a filter hand tight, you are not installing it properly. Most filters need to be installed hand tight, then an additional turn spec is required, which can vary from one filter application to another. There is a certain amount of gasket compression the manufacturer specifies for each filter/application.

Come on man! Those instructions were written with small ladies in mind. Snug up the filter and then give it the spec turn with your man grip.

Thread Information