Got a new radiator. Can i use it?

Got a new radiator. Can i use it?

Hello! I bought a new radiator from ebay that was for "82-85 Toyota Celica Supra Hatchback New Radiator 2.8 L". It looks pretty much correct except for two connections for hoses at the bottom that i don't have on my original radiator. I have a 5ME engine so i at first i thought it was used for something on the 5MGE models, but i have not managed to find anything online suggesting that the 5MGE has those either.
    My plan was just to run a hose between them or plug them somehow. But i am a bit curious if anyone here knows if this in fact is a correct radiator for the Supra or what the deal with these hoses is? Can/should i use it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Those are for the oil cooler lines if you had an automatic transmission. Just use it no modifications are needed.

Duane
    85 Supra Black 5spd 5MGE w/Black Leather
    85 Supra Red (parts car)
    96 Lexus GS300 - Silver w/Black Leather 2JZ
    88 Celica GTS Black - Sold
    80 Celica GT Black - Sold

Duane is right. Seems like no one has offered a manual transmission specific radiator in the aftermarket for decades since the automatic transmission one works just fine, i.e. why manufacture two different parts when one will fit both. If originality is a concern, then the best option may be to have your original radiator re-cored, but that's only if you are really obsessive-compulsive about it.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Thanks! Can't believe i did not think of the automatic transmission being the reason for those connections It fit really nice actually!
    I am not very obsessive-compulsive with this car because it has had a lot of work done to it that i can't say was very professional I'm just happy if i find something that fits that keep it running! The bad part is that this is not working out to well at the moment and i think my head gasket finally gave up today I have suspected it being bad for a long time now because of a bit much white smoke, but i had not really noticed any lack of power or water in the oil so i tackled it by living in denial. Until today...
    Also my fan crashed in to the radiator cowl the other day so i will probably need to source a new one of those. The only thing i did previously to this was to change the upper radiator hose to a universal flexible one. The new one did not feel like it pushed against the cowl or anything, but it must have done so because cowl can't just have decided to do this suddenly after 35 years i would imagine.

I am very happy that the fan did not break at least Also a new head gasket kit is ordered from ebay so i hope to have the car up and running soon!

Sometimes , the fan sucks the shroud into the fan and perhaps the fan got wedged into the rad. and did some damage.
    83-Red P-type , 6M,. LJM strut-bar, RC intake,Thorley header,Tenzo 17" wheels, cross-drilled rotors, Eibach springs, KYB shocks, 85 hatch and int., 82 header panel=Frankenkar

87 4 Runner, White, 22RE, 302K on original motor, still strong

"This car is so loud , I heard you before I saw you!" said the nice policeman. Hidden Content

«Radiator Express» has a manual radiator for our cars. Bought and installed one 3 years ago and it has done its job. Fit was good.

http://radiatorexpress.com/product/a.../39859/1278413

Quote Originally Posted by ccs70 View Post
    «Radiator Express» has a manual radiator for our cars. Bought and installed one 3 years ago and it has done its job. Fit was good.

http://radiatorexpress.com/product/a.../39859/1278413
    That link shows one for an automatic and description says "Will work for both automatic and manual applications"
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

CelicaSupra.com Member
    The fan does not suck the shroud backwards! The fan itself gets sucked forward into either the shroud or the bottom side of the upper radiator tank if the shroud isn't there because the blades flex forward trying to pull air through the radiator. The solution is to replace the nylon fan itself. They're still available new at Rock Auto for about $40 delivered IIRC. I had this happen twice a few years ago and replacing the fan cured the problem.
    Why a nylon fan you ask? Here's why. If you get your hand or fingers into it, you might get bruised or maybe a small cut, but you'll still have all your fingers.

Exclamation Fan ate the shroud,BHG?

As Ray said,the fan gets soft from engine heat and pulls itself forward. Been there!We both have.
    Mine happened @ 6,500 rippem's. Fan stopped turning and it got HOT.
    I got upset with that set up and put in a fiberglass fan and tossed that heavy fluid coupler.I shouldn't have done that. Sorry.

B.H.G? You will NEVER have a coolant pressure-related failure if you spend the big $$ on Evans coolant.
    It makes NO pressure in the system.I drilled a hole in my radiator cap!
    Look at Rob's post about that stuff.
    https://www.celicasupra.com/forums/m...010-Gargravarr

BHG's happen in the warm weather,I'm guessing.
    Have your favorite machinist check the cylinder head for flatness and reason for the failure.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

Thread Information