1985 Supra resuscitation - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anyoldiron View Post
    Thanks for the heads up!
    To be honest, i did a search found it didn't have a PCV valve, being it now idles great i called that job good.....................

ls the hose in the first picture i one that needs checking? The vac lines are very supple, but ive got a good idea of what will happen when i start yanking on them.

Also, is there anything supposed to go on where i'm pointing in the second pic?

Thankyouverymuch

Attachment 8065Attachment 8067
    No to your 2nd question, that steel hose is solid as I recall.

As for the PCV, sorry, I shouldn't have said valve, their is indeed none on these cars, but the thicker hose coming of the valve cover is the PCV feed line. Where it attaches to the TB is where it, and the little passage into the TB is what tends to get clogged.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Timing belt, the easy way

Finally got the correct metric bolts to adapt my puller to get the crank pulley off safely. Replaced the timing belt, tensioner, spring, cam seals, crank seal, water pump, fan etc .

lt is not necessary to remove the rocker cover and all that performance.

line the cam pulleys up as you would, then tipex on the belt lined up with the dots on the cam gears, then put a line on the timing pulley and belt at around the 9 oclock.

Slip the belt off and copy the marks onto the new belt, you will want 25 ridges between the cam marks and 66 ridges from the left cam mark to the pulley mark.

Then reinstall lining up your tip ex marks, and reassemble as normal. This isnt my idea, its a Ducati trick, but it works none the less.

Also managed to lower the idle speed after it went up following a through cleaning.

Tomorrow insurance and a nice long drive............................................
    Attached Images Attached Images

The rocker cover? You mean the valve cover? That isn't necessary if you've set the cams in the right spot before taking the belt off. Its actually dead simple, you just pull spark plug number one, and rotate the crank till its at 0 deg on the lower cover before you remove the pulley, and piston #1 is at TDC. Done, no extra marks necessary.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend View Post
    The rocker cover? You mean the valve cover? That isn't necessary if you've set the cams in the right spot before taking the belt off. Its actually dead simple, you just pull spark plug number one, and rotate the crank till its at 0 deg on the lower cover before you remove the pulley, and piston #1 is at TDC. Done, no extra marks necessary.
    No i meant rocker cover, i speak English not colonial, what you call rockers are correctly in the civilized world known as sills. l apologize for showing another method that works fine safely and simply on this as well as my GX470 and Bikes, i was trying to share some experience, i have now learned my lesson several times and will not bother you again. ..........and you actually wonder why your forum is dead.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    It's funny because you're both in BC Canada

I think there is a case of "over-reaction" here.
    SupraFiend was just trying to use the words that are commonly used in this forum to describe the part. I would have given the same remarks.
    You are welcome to stay and update this tread about your work on this car.
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily driver, RIP...), 2002 E39 ///M5 LMB Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Oh hell,I call them "cam covers".They do have rockers inside.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

Sills.... still nope, here in Southern BC, most of North America, and Japan, we refer to those as valve covers....

Jeeze dude, you really offend easy. Our forum is suffering from the Facebook groups splintering the membership, like just about every other car forum currently.

The factory manual is online btw, I was simply quoting the way to do it as designed by the engineers who built the car...
    http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK2/

There are certainly cars out there that don't have proper markings and make a simple timing belt job excessively complex and your method would work well on them. Ours just isn't one of them, and I simply pointed it out.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car

CelicaSupra.com Member
    In New Jersey we call them valve covers. BTW.....what is a "cube shifter"? Thanks, Bob

Cube shifter is an aftermarket short shifter from Australia. Cube is the maker.
    Terra Cotta '83 6MGE W58
    Black '86 Shell
    Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content

Thread Information