1985 Supra resuscitation

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

1985 Supra resuscitation

My 85 Supra is done at the paint shop, there is new paint on the rear bumper cover, hatch and front left fender and flare, the rest has been restored, gotta love 80s paints.
    Next is a bunch of mechanical stuff, mostly ''deferred maintenance '' , well i have to do that before i can cn be sure it was just that
    The final thing will be some interior work, not sure what or how far i will go with that
    The car will stay stock apart from a cube shifter, maybe a strut brace.................................and a turbo

$_59 (6).jpg
    Resized_20190503_151646.jpg
    CC42C180-73EF-45FC-A3D7-226EB1989589.jpg
    Resized_20190503_151707.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member battleaxe's Avatar
    why not repaint the whole car? that 80s paint, in my case, is single stage and everytime i wash it, the paint washes away a little more each time

Was it also clear coated?

As they say on ROADKILL,"It'll buff out".
    Snag some of the left over paint and see what you can do,otherwise.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by battleaxe View Post
    why not repaint the whole car? that 80s paint, in my case, is single stage and everytime i wash it, the paint washes away a little more each time
    ''lts only original once'', which is just as well, i like things original.

This is my fourth Mk2, i had two that used to do that to me, a white one and a blue one, the water used to turn brown i think its called rust

Cleaning and other Stuff

Had a happy weekend gently farting around after getting the car on Sat. The progress might seem a bit haphazard, but its simple, if i spend a whole day bent over a engine bay that low im probably not walking the next day
    Plenty of cleaning done along with; replaced the rear discs, pads and shocks. Changed diff oil, transmission mount. Pulled through brake fluid (after pic , clutch fluid, power steering fluid, dropped trans oil, new spark plugs, Ht leads, Cap & rotor, air filter. cleaned a bunch of grounds and various connectors that i came across along the way..................... The HT leads i took off where so old they had ''Toyota'' printed on them. Oddly enough the brake ''feel'' is way better now suprise suprise, the clutch fluid was nowhere near as bad.InkedP_20190504_151518_LI.jpgP_20190505_070611.jpg

A couple more gentle days of service items and front end work and it will be ok to hoon around in, then the other non essential, essential stuff like speakers and air con i can mess with as and when.

Really surprised at the lack of rust, i had one that at 16 years old was so bad the tailgate needed duct tape 3 wide just to stay alive let alone dry

.................oddly enough the to do list doesnt seem to get any shorter

I'm doing the same thing generally, and my brake fluid looks as fresh as yours, though my clutch fluid is in similar condition... Kinda like coffee, haha.
    85 P-Type, White over Maroon Leather, bone stock

You remind me that I am looooong overdue for that too.
    Good job guys!
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily driver, RIP...), 2002 E39 ///M5 LMB Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

.......................you might want to do your power steering fluid, mine was ''cowboy coffee'' colour, lt didnt take much to cycle through fresh fluid half a gallon will do it. Now, Mobil 1 ATF and happy

For the cube shifter I reccomend getting the SC300 'Z' shapped shifter. Don't get the Supra shifter. The block on the bottom of the cube shifer raises the shifter height and moves the shift knob forward. The SC300 unfortunately makes the leather boot sit strangly but keeps the shifter at the same height and moved the shift knob back a few inches.
    Terra Cotta '83 2JZGE W58
    Black '86 Shell - For sell
    Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Hey, welcome to the board? Where in BC are you? I'm in Mission myself. We do an awesome meet every August in Vernon called Run of the Ogopogo, you should come!

Curious where your car is from. There are very few Canadian originals left that could be considered good in the rust department. I highly recommend not leaving it outside
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Thread Information