Fuel pump voltage at ~7v when idling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fuel pump voltage at ~7v when idling.

83 w/ 6mge Fuel gauge stopped working so I checked fuel pump voltage and it is 6.8v while idling. I have not checked voltage while driving. Also, 5.7v when key is turned but engine not on. Seems to match up with half battery voltage (13.8v). I haven't messed with the wiring for the pump. I have a keyless entry system installed, forgot where that is powered from. Everything else seems ok. Gauge and pump have continuity with ground. Gas gauge was working last week.
    Terra Cotta '83 6MGE W58
    Black '86 Shell
    Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    What does fuel pump voltage have to do with your gas guage? 2 separate circuits.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Ya. Just an observation. Turns out it's a mute point. Had the wrong wire tapped to read the voltage. Fuel pump is fine. Still no fuel indication though.
    Wonder what is getting half battery voltage.
    Terra Cotta '83 6MGE W58
    Black '86 Shell
    Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

A little update:
    Took out the sending unit and it failed the TSRM test for resistance at the different positions. I took off the cover and the copper windings were all green. I took a wire brush to gently clean them off and sanded the moving arm part. Got the resistance to match the TSRM values. Though when the float arm is jiggled the resistance will vary wildly and go into kilo ohm values. I think this may be part of the problem and why the guage was working when driving. It was making contact enough to get a reading. Anyway, I installed the sender and measured the resistance. Got 34.5 ohms which should read about half tank. Next is to trouble shoot the gauge.
    Terra Cotta '83 6MGE W58
    Black '86 Shell

Just checked the gauge and it seems to pass the TSRM checks. Though I only did U-IG check and the deflection check with the ~3.4w light. I am officially at a loss of what to look for. If anyone is still reading this ideas are welcome.
    Hopefully when I drive it again it will come to life.
    Terra Cotta '83 6MGE W58
    Black '86 Shell

Might want to try a different sender still, assuming you have proper continuity at the sender connector on the car chassis harness side. Check the condition of the wires from the spare tire well to the sender.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car

I have proper continuity in all the wiring. The wiring looks good. No signs of cracking or corrosion at the connections. I will try a different sender. One of the few things I don't have a spare of on hand.
    Terra Cotta '83 6MGE W58
    Black '86 Shell

Is the sender still returning the right resistance values? I just restored one of these this weekend and opened up the box the resistor is in. If that little silver arm that rubs on it bends away at all it will break continuity and stop working. The whole assembly seems a little susceptible to mechanical wear and failure over time.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car

Resistance values are ok. The top out at ~65 ohm instead of the 100ohms specified. I a looking into getting it rebuilt.
    The door seam a bit prone to wear. Mine I can tweak the float arm to cause an open circuit.
    Terra Cotta '83 6MGE W58
    Black '86 Shell

I've had pretty good luck just cleaning the contacts on the wiper

Thread Information