Should have a whole box of Wiper Arm stuff, but came up with idea for Link Arm repair

CelicaSupra.com Member

Should have a whole box of Wiper Arm stuff, but came up with idea for Link Arm repair

Typically, the Plastic insert in the Linkage arm that connects the Wipers to the Wiper motor....goes...

Not sure where I put my box of Wiper Arm stuff ATM so running around Wiperless, LOL ... so gave it some thought about "Rebuilding" that Plastic insert that goes over the ball.. at least until I can find the box...

My idea is essentially quite simple.... to put a 5 min Epoxy Glue in the Plastic... & put a piece of Saran Wrap over the Ball of the Wiper Motor ....Especially if U wiggle it slightly while it's setting... it "should" lv enuff play to pop the Wiper Motor Ball off as normal...

In an case... the Epoxy will stick to the SARAN WRAP... & not the Ball on the end of the Wiper Motor.... so should easily still allow free movement once drive...

Essentially kinda using the Wiper Arm Ball as kind of a Mold .... if U will.

I'll let U guys know how it turns out, esp over time...

"If" it works... it might mean NOBODY has to try & replace the Linkage arm...

At it's worst... should be a Temporary fix ... at the least....

Cheers,
    Dave Cod The Black Supra Man TONS of used 84/83 parts F/S

Dk Blue 84 P-type Virginia car converted to Stick,1 Stock Two tone '85 P-type also US origin), 1 to be Turbo'd at some point!!! Have a 53 ft Trailer that I've converted to a 6000 cu ft 84/85 Supra parts Warehouse....Lots of Parts F/S

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I've successfully used your technique to repair other things, but using JB weld instead of regular epoxy.

BTW, I need a manual transmission cross member for an 84. Purchased a 2.5 inch exhaust from Raptor Racing. While attempting to separate the old cat from the header down pipe with an angle grinder I hit the cross-member and cut a nice slot in it. Probably not a big deal, but I would replace it if I can find another.

Thanks, Bob

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    I thought this was about the crazy drivers side wiper arm linkage that always wears out. I've never had what you described fail, but I guess thats something to watch out for.

I'm not sure what epoxy's wear resistance is like compared to plastic, might work.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhartmaier View Post
    I've successfully used your technique to repair other things, but using JB weld instead of regular epoxy.

BTW, I need a manual transmission cross member ... I would replace it if I can find another.

Thanks, Bob
    OK.. Bob... been so busy taking an Intense Career course, I haven't had time to try the Wiper Arm fix...... bought "an" Epoxy but "Time " ...wasn't even on the Radar Screen ... to even open the pkg ...

In the meantime... found the whole box & got a good one... but haven't even had time to install THAT !! Had Final exam tonite... so now can focus on more car stuff... Still going to try whatever Epoxy works best ... on 1 of the worn ones... as I'm sure I'll need another 1 at some point...

I'll be driving a Supra... until I can't physically get IN the car... or they take away my Licence, or they STOP MAKING GAS... LOL... & even then I'll be leaving one in my Will... lMBAO

Got 1 Auto Crossmember.. (which I am keeping just in case I decide to go JZ or whatever... ) & at least 1 Manual... If I find I have 1 more Manual... I'll sell U one Bob...

Should be able to make a trip out to Storage Trailer this W/E. PM Rec'd... will be in Touch...

Cheers,
    Dave Cod The Black Supra Man TONS of used 84/83 parts F/S

Dk Blue 84 P-type Virginia car converted to Stick,1 Stock Two tone '85 P-type also US origin), 1 to be Turbo'd at some point!!! Have a 53 ft Trailer that I've converted to a 6000 cu ft 84/85 Supra parts Warehouse....Lots of Parts F/S

Thread Information