Plasti-dip applications

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member '82supra's Avatar

Plasti-dip applications

I read thru a number of forums including responding to this thread talking about using plasti-dip. I watched the Youtube tutorials and decided to buy some locally (expensive, better to buy online, but I was impatient). Now, since I'd taken a number of shots during the process, I thought I might as well share and start a new thread (with proper spelling, lol).

Originally I wasn't really sure about the thought of plasti-dipping parts, but since I had my stock L-type wheels kicking around, I thought I'd give it a go.

Neglected stockers

Cleaning with soap nut powder

After (not bad)

Still they needed work, so I spent some time buffing them with Mother's polish... that's when I decided I didn't want to spend alot more time maintaining them like mirrors (although I think it looks good ). I know what it takes to keep them looking shiney, plus I know what they look like on the car ... so it was time for a change.

I didn't want to go to any huge expense buying a new set of wheels and tires, nor did I want the change to be permanent or difficult to reverse/modify, so plasti-dip was the answer.

I tested it on one rim and the results looked promising

I mocked it up with photoshop

In the meantime, I found a decent set of tires on Kijiji and installed one to see what if any damage it would do to my work. Since there wasn't any, I decided to dip the other wheels prior to install.

This with 2-3 coats black, insides were also sprayed and covered with some cards since the tape was a PITA to remove safely from the plasti-dip.

One layer of gold metalizer over black

Two layers

It's looking better

The metalizer looks better in the right angle light (sorry for the blatent advertising, lol)

The outcome looks a little different from the pics after it cures. Also it is difficult to keep the wheels all of the same shade. The spray bomb changes colour through the spray, even though I shook it well. As it turned out, one of the wheels plasti-dip was damaged along the edge, but it was an easy fix. I would probably recommend doing the spray with the tires installed first.

Anyway, this is what it looks like now with gold plasti-dipped wheels

I may spray a light layer of copper metalizer on them to get some more reflection and hopefully reduce the green.

It's a little different using plasti-dip from regular spray paint. On one hand it is fairly forgiving if you spray lightly as it doesn't run easily, but if you hit it too hard, it will pool and you can't sand it. If you slip up, you can either add another layer or peel it and start over again. It's also good for protection, I know they'll be shiney underneath when the times comes to remove it.

For the next project I'm going to try fixing the hatch trim with black plasti-dip...anybody else had any experience with this stuff?
    Last edited by '82supra; 08-25-2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: tips added
    Hidden Content
    DreadBull

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Re: Plasti-dip applications

Nice write up! I think it definitely turned out well. The contrasting colors look amazing. :thumbup:

- Dustin -
    -Dustin-
    Sold: 1985 Supra, 290k 5m, Fuzzy Dice.
    Sold: 1985 Supra, 6mgte, 349whp/352tq at 16psi. Build Thread: Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member Road Ripper's Avatar
    Nice car pics! They really bring out that gold pinstripe. They even look good with the chrome lug nuts! Reminds me of the old 13" stock Celica and Corolla styled steel rims of the 70's.

So you can use regular paint over the top of cured plasti-dip? That would sure expand the useage of this product. I may have to try some on our Magnum to make custom painted-on "eyelids" for the huge bug-eye headlights.

Love the work so far, and your other ideas for applications to other parts of the car. Hmmm, I wonder if it would revitalize the look of old headlight whiskers?
    Hidden Content
    Dan (DragonLady's husband) *RIP Tyler (2yo son lost to cancer)
    1986 P-type (Ruffian) black 6M 5 speed (formerly Lexusboy's), sitting.
    1986 P type MKII 2tone night blue met/silver met. 5MGE auto, waiting for summer.
    2005 Dodge Magnum Magnesium Pearl - new family car!
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country - Charcoal, family/stuff hauler

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys. I know it's not for everyone, but I like the DIY facelift - not permanent and not expensive. One can of black and one can of metallizer covered 4 wheels with 3 coats of each.

I've read where you can use regular paint over plasti-dip; however, I think it can be problematic when peeling, esp on textured rims, but over glass I don't see a problem. It otta work great for revitalizing whiskers, trim and such. It doesn't bond cracks like GOOP, but I'm sure it would make a nice topcoat.
    Hidden Content
    DreadBull

Cheaper in the states, I heard it's like $6.99 a can, but here it runs north of $27.99

So I applied a layer of copper metallizer bought cheap from eBay http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Plasti-Dip-Sp...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

It def looks more like real metal rather than a paint/dip, I'll get pics up once it cures...
    Last edited by '82supra; 08-31-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: link added
    Hidden Content
    DreadBull

Some shots after the copper metallizer:

The copper makes the stock rims pop, more solid, blends to add depth to the gold, matches the bronze pinstripe, recommended
    Hidden Content
    DreadBull

CelicaSupra.com Member Road Ripper's Avatar
    Yup, total WIN!
    Hidden Content
    Dan (DragonLady's husband) *RIP Tyler (2yo son lost to cancer)
    1986 P-type (Ruffian) black 6M 5 speed (formerly Lexusboy's), sitting.
    1986 P type MKII 2tone night blue met/silver met. 5MGE auto, waiting for summer.
    2005 Dodge Magnum Magnesium Pearl - new family car!
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country - Charcoal, family/stuff hauler

That is the best I've ever seen L-type wheels look. Very nice work. I've got a gold l-type that I'm gonna respray "vintage gold." The color is sooo close to the stock color and the flat look shoud be pretty cool. I'm gonna dip the insides of the p-type wheels black and leave the lip polished. Lowered with white letters and it should look great. If it doesn't, I can peel it off lol.

CelicaSupra.com Member Lee_MA61's Avatar
    Looks really good, the photos at the right angles are my favorite. I can't get enough of that gold sparkle. They look really good on the car too.

I have used plasti dip to refresh the grill, lower cowl molding, and the inserts that fit into the wiper area. Overall I was happy with it.
    Random House Racing
    -1984 Toyota, Celica Supra P-Type Super Red (2JZ-GTE + 74mm) JZA61 Hidden Content
    -2010 GMC, Sierra 2500HD Imperial Blue Metallic (L96)

Hot damn that's a great idea; it looks great!

I really like the look of the "L" type fenders now days over the "P" type.. Could come from my hatred for rust..

Thread Information