Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Ceika coilovers.... And coilovers in general

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  SupraFiend 
#1 ·
Anyone had any luck with these? I've seen a mixed bag or reviews from other model forms. I've been cross shopping these against the Stance and T3 sets, trying to find a set that will give me a bit more performance and slightly more appealing fender gap but my main concern is ride quality (can't be too hard as I'm still on the original suspension).

I'm not super keen on the T3's as I don't think they really provide the correct method for ride adjustment and the stances look nice and seem to have good North American support but $1800cdn I find a bit expensive for a car I bought for 2 grand. This is where I thought the ceikas at $1400 were a nice in between but I'm still on the fence.

Please let me know your experiences with any of these I really like to know what you thought.

Trying to pan out my suspensions before I drop in a mildly built 7mgte and wreck this thing due to worn out suspension.

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
I'm also contemplating an S13 knuckle conversion for ease of parts replacement and the possibility of benefits from the sealed double row ball bearing if there is one to be had but I'm not sure if there are any benefits to be had going this route and wether or not to retain the factory lower arms or to go with S13 lower arms as well

#4 · (Edited)
Yeah, whats your issue with the T3s? Don't get too hung up on having the ability to wind the body up and down. Adjustment range wise, any coilover set up will have the ability to drop your car down onto its wheels (iow, well beyond usable range). As well, ride quality comes down to the spring rate YOU choose, and the damper. I'm sure Gabe will make you a set of his coil overs with Koni Yellows if you want. They are considered the best for performance, but hilariously, they net a much more comfortable ride on the street then the AGX dampers.

Also, you can always roll your own... my guide, though dated, is still stickied in this section.

#5 ·
Hey guys, first off I'd like to thank you for your replies (even if only to point out my stupidity).

My main concern with the T3's was a combination of not being able to adjust the strut cartridge in concert with the ride height to keep it in it's optimum range of motion as I've seen/had vehicles on lowering springs which have quickly worn struts. The spring mount over the rear shock also concerned me a bit as it's not where the factory positioned loadbearing support for the vehicle weight and I'm worry about excessive flex or deformation. Otherwise I think they are probably a decent product, all my queries point to their products being if high quality

As far as spring rates go Im at a loss and hoping to find a suspension manufacture who can guide me towards the correct product for my application.

Now suprafiend, I'm not sure who Gabe is but I'm assuming an associate of T3 or RR,. Would those be the places to look towards with some guidance?

Thanks again

#6 ·
My main concern with the T3's was a combination of not being able to adjust the strut cartridge in concert with the ride height to keep it in it's optimum range of motion as I've seen/had vehicles on lowering springs which have quickly worn struts. The spring mount over the rear shock also concerned me a bit as it's not where the factory positioned loadbearing support for the vehicle weight and I'm worry about excessive flex or deformation..
To be fair all 2 or 3 rear coilovers on the market fit in place of the stock shock. In regards to the T3 fronts the KYBs they are using are a couple of inches shorter than the stock struts so they are already short of preshortened for you.

#8 ·
There's nothing to worry about in regards to the shock placement on the front T3 setup. The issue you are describing is more of a common problem on cars lowered on stock shocks. As was pointed out, the T3s (and the roll your own method) use shocks that are quite a bit shorter then the stockers so they quite happy working in that range. I've been running coil overs on these cars for about 15 years now and I've never killed a set of shocks on them (no not a DD, but probably 40 autocrosses in that time and a couple long road trips).

As for a unified shock/spring setup at the rear, yeah, you are right to be worried about that. I wouldn't advise it without at least a beefy rear shock tower braces that attaches to the frame rails and/or C Pillars as well as the shock housings. And no, no one makes such a thing as a product (but not that hard to make yourself). Most just buy the 300lb Dobinson springs for the rear and you can always cut rear springs down to get the height you want. Its quite safe the way our spring mounts in the back are designed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.