Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1979 #4166 for sale

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  maximaj30 
#1 · (Edited)
quick n dirty

-around 2500th Supra made, January of 1979
-according to the Supra registry, 2nd oldest surviving Supra in the world
-F312 open rear diff, likely the only Canadian spec ordered specifically with a F312 instead of F313
-ordered with power windows factory, but manual locks, no sunroof, no cruise control
-never winter driven, garaged every night since new. seen rain 20 times since 1979
-paint/engine bay immaculate. 90% of engine bay items are factory original
-no mods, everythings factory original. most of the car has factory parts
-2 owners, me being the 2nd. ive owned it about 10 years since original owner passed
-runs/drives, trans is a bit notchy, engine cuts spark short past 3000rpm for some reason. not the ECU/igniter/dizzy, suspect maybe ground or such
-boatload of spare parts for it. alloy wheels, 3 gauge cluster sets, dash, ECU, custom brake rotors, you name it

5 digit ODO shows around 22000, i was told its 220,000km but i have 0 idea if thats true. car looks more like 22,000km. ive put 400km on it the last decade, i take it 2km for a new tank of 91 octane gas every 2-3 years thats it

$12k CAD is what im looking for, if it goes as a permanent museum piece i'll definitely budge on that. dont really care if i sell it nor do i need to, shouldnt really be used as a road car again, more a collectible. not really looking for trades, only possible trade i would do is a 1JZGTE/R154 combo for my Crown + $2k cash

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you, I sent a letter to the Toyota Museum in Japan and asked if they would just accept it as a permanent donation, they said they unfortunately have a MA46 and don't have room for a double

Still for sale, I've gotten numerous emails from people that either grew up in one or will buy mine if they win the lottery, no offers. If it goes to a permanent Museum or such I'll definitely move on the price, just don't want some idiot kid buying it and slapping in a 1J to rip skids in the snow lol

#5 · (Edited)
Toyota North America has been nothing but miserable for anything with classics or JDM, mention to them its a classic or JDM they tell you to pound sand. even trying to get an email for Toyota Japan from the USA division was a pain nevermind donating a car. in the end they wouldnt even give me Toyota Japans email and i had to send a translated letter. Toyota Japan said if they didnt have a double they would gladly take it, sent me a whole letter thanking me for owning it so long, etc. i talked to a Supra collector here and he has had the same issues with Toyota regarding classics, that Susans email unfortunately comes back as a defunct email

#6 ·
Hmmm I was afraid of that, as that was the 50th anniversary site and I wasn't sure if Susan would continue to be the head of the museum after it moved to Texas. Found this...

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/...useum-opening-new-experience-center-in-texas/

Toyota is a big company, with many arms. You do have to talk to the right people, and there are many within the company that have a great amount of respect for their heritage, which is why the Museum in Torrance existed. Susan was awesome, always got back to me right away when I sent her emails of low milage cars on ebay and such that would make great additions to their collection. Not sure who to point you at but it sounds like they have big things in the works for some kind of museum near their new HQ. I didn't get any google hits on the new one though so I don't think its open yet.

#7 ·
Toyota also bought a big ranch north of Fort Worth that is supposed to be a sort of executive retreat and feature a road course and a "private auto museum" according to the local news reports. I kind of wonder if the collection won't actually be housed there and the Experience Center at the Plano headquarters something more focused on new cars and the present.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.