Potential 8 Inch Diff Swap - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Yeah there's that too, another incentive to just go is300. I was going to reinforce, but the thing is already really heavy. But i'm not planning big big power anyways.

Killbill, the "camber by the hub", are your referring to the adjustable camber on the outer A arm mount? That is essentially what we have all been doing to our subframes for the last 15+ years here. There's actually been 3 different camber bracket kits made over the years, Raptor's was the last. It works, but only accounts for up to about 1.5 inchs of ride height variance. Depending on where you mount the bracket you can get that same range to compensate for a car thats been extremely lowered, but you will have to reclock the inner mounts too if you drop the mount low enough to compensate for the 1.5+ inch drops. Now the inner A arm mount and the stabilizing arm the FC runs is interesting! That would negate the need for re-clocking the inner mount, though I assume they did it to improve the inherent crap roll center trailing arms have. Anyways, like I said its pretty interesting, but it was blip in history, Mazda went full double wishbones 2 year later and never looked back (as should be, looking at you bastard mk5 supra). FD IRS...

Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

8" GX71 differentials do exist, if you really want one. I passed on one a few weeks ago that would have been CAD$1200 in my hand.

This morning, I bought this in rough shape:
    https://www.rinkya.com/en/auction-s687347002

At $1200, the diff is still a small part of the cost to get it in the car. At $30, I'm sure there will be seals that cost more than the case. I guess we'll see what it looks like when it gets here.
    Dean L.
    1985 Toyota Supra - Hidden Content
    2000 Lexus LS400
    2007 Lexus LX470

CelicaSupra.com Member Funkycheeze's Avatar
    I got one a few months ago and Dean finally found one too. I'll be doing the swap this winter - looks like a bit of fab work will be required, probably moving a few mounting holes on the big diff crossmember(and custom CV shafts) but nothing major. I plan to rebuild it with a T2 Torsen from a FRS/BRZ and a 29 spline brand new 3.73 R&P rebuild kit from DM with a new input flange that also has a 66x66x11mm bolt up pattern (along with the smaller 60x60x10 that is the same as the truck diff big input flange for the 7.5). Then I can use a 1330 U joint at the back on the 66x66 pattern, and a DM 1350 slip yoke at the trans (that has removable ears so I can get the driveshaft out of the car without removing the diff) and a 1350 to 1330 crossover U joint at the front. Then the only part of the drivetrain left stock is the stub shafts in the control arms but they are pretty tough, not much chance of breaking one unless you are running a spool or welded diff!
    '84 P-type, 5spd, Super red, black/grey leather - 2JZGTE swap, Precision 6262 on cast manifold, ECUmaster black with 875cc/min injectors, 465 WHP at 17 psi, built R154 with OS Giken twin plate, one piece driveshaft with 1310 joints, Truetrac with 3.73 R&P, 450 lb/in front coilovers, 300lb/in rear springs, Image BBM wheels 17x8 and 18x10, 4 corner BBK, AGX shocks, Whiteline bars, poly bushings, T3 GTX2 front control and steering arms etc. etc.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I got a rusty present yesterday...

Dean L.
    1985 Toyota Supra - Hidden Content
    2000 Lexus LS400
    2007 Lexus LX470

CelicaSupra.com Member Funkycheeze's Avatar
    Yep yep, I already did a bunch of measuring and speccing out of parts etc. With a 29 spline brand new R&P, solid spacer, T2 Torsen, custom axle shafts, and a single piece driveshaft that has 1330 U joints on each end it should be pretty much indestructible in a mk2. The T2 torque bias ratio is around 2.5:1 so you can only ever get about 71% of the torque to one wheel, so I'm not worried about the stub shafts in the control arms so much, I've only ever seen them get broken with welded diffs and low gearing (4.30 or similar). The splines are pretty big.
    Last edited by Funkycheeze; 10-16-2019 at 04:17 PM.
    '84 P-type, 5spd, Super red, black/grey leather - 2JZGTE swap, Precision 6262 on cast manifold, ECUmaster black with 875cc/min injectors, 465 WHP at 17 psi, built R154 with OS Giken twin plate, one piece driveshaft with 1310 joints, Truetrac with 3.73 R&P, 450 lb/in front coilovers, 300lb/in rear springs, Image BBM wheels 17x8 and 18x10, 4 corner BBK, AGX shocks, Whiteline bars, poly bushings, T3 GTX2 front control and steering arms etc. etc.

Thread Information