Potential 8 Inch Diff Swap - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Here's a couple more of Steves silly celica...

Rear end setup is a "Fab9". I don't speak drag racer so you'll have to translate yourself lol

Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

That's a lot more work than I will do. For a car making that much power, it makes sense. Tell Steve he is out front! Big difference in 8 second and 9 second quarter mile times.

I already asked Grannas himself to build us an IRS that will hold, complete with hubs. He said he needed ten people to commit. I think there's maybe two of us ready...

I've looked into the Fab9 housing too, and asked my builder. Not required for 1,000hp-1200hp.

Still, I'll have to do a lot more than you will to fit the 8 inch diff.

How's that coming along? Any progress with the subframe mounting?

CelicaSupra.com Member Funkycheeze's Avatar
    I don't have the diff yet, it'll be 2-3 weeks to get here. I'll be putting a rebuilt 7.5 in to get me through the summer while I rebuild the 8 inch with 29 spline 3.73 and a T2 Torsen. Then deal with installation and custom CV shafts this winter. Looks like the driveshaft will need to be half an inch shorter as well.
    '84 P-type, 5spd, torrid red, black/grey leather
    Built 7MGTE (JE's, ARP studs, MHG), BOSS STG4 60mm, AEM standalone, R154, 2 1/2" IC and 3" turbo back - the works
    Coilovers, ROH wheels, 4 corner BBK, Konis, ADDCO bars, PST bushings etc. etc.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I've only seen pictures of that diff, and that it's unobtainable.

Lucky you.

I kind of like mine it bolts right in.

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Well look at Mr. Fancy Pants and his custom 8 inch diff setup, you've been holding out on us Aaron lol.

Very nice. Is that a Toy diff or a Ford? So, are you going to share the custom CNC work and bar? Can people buy this? Obviously it's far from bolt considering the front subframe requires extensive mods, but that's not the end of the world! Spill !
    Last edited by SupraFiend; 06-10-2019 at 03:04 PM.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

It's a IRS Ford 8.8. I built 5 of the front bracket so yes the plan is make 4 more. I have 3 of the stock front crossmembers to use as cores now so I can rotate them out pretty quickly when ready. It's a pretty simple mod, but it needs to be jigged correctly What's holding me up right now the arms. Having a hard time finding a local machine shop that will even give me the time of day. In the end pretty much all the parts are readily available off cars they make now. What you end up with is much stronger drivelines, multiple sway bar options, cheap brakes, many sizes of brakes, and most are much cheaper than the Mk2 equivalent.

Thread contains so much win...

That looks great. Looks like aluminum. Do you think it's going to be strong enough to hold up?

It should be be way stronger than needed. It looks great in all the feas I did.

It does look strong around the bushings, I was under the impression cracking was prone with aluminum. I love that sway bar mount.

Thread Information