TPS issue for FFIM Throttle Body set up

CelicaSupra.com Member

TPS issue for FFIM Throttle Body set up

I bought an Ron R front facing intake for my 7mgte motor and it came with an aftermarket throttle body. I bought it from suprasaurus on here and he indicated the TB is a godspeed 70mm (https://www.drivenbystyle.com/70mm-t...ate-11847.html). The issue here is a there is a spacer / adapter thing that connects to the TB shaft that is missing. This TB is designed for an Infiniti Q45 TPS. Great so I bought one and it doesn't bolt up to the TB . This adpater deal looks like a reducer that fits inside the TPS. Suprasaurus is looking to see if he can find it but my question is if he doesn't find it what are my optioms to make sure this work? I'm thinking I can try to find this reducer thing or I may just have to source a Q45 TB. But this godspeed one looks so shiny! The last picture shows the piece missing circled in red (I think).

Thanks
    Nick

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

In regards to throttle bodies overall, 95% of all the aftermarket leak like a somabitch, and belong in the trash.

OEM or Hypertune, all the way. This includes recommending you go Nissan Q45 while you are messing with it. Prevent tuning headaches now.
    Billet main 1J, PGS dog box R-154, Pro-EFI 128, ID2000cc, Hypertune, Headgames, Kelford, Stillway, C's, CP, Weldon, Magnafuel, IGN-1A, nitrous, six pt. cage, so much more...
    Jeffrey Rainwater
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Corey Larkins Hidden Content
    My first wife left me because I like to behave like a dog... Jeff also has the best parts on his Supra. I wish I could afford at least half that kind of stuff, but I never will.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by racerxj220 View Post
    In regards to throttle bodies overall, 95% of all the aftermarket leak like a somabitch, and belong in the trash.

OEM or Hypertune, all the way. This includes recommending you go Nissan Q45 while you are messing with it. Prevent tuning headaches now.
    Thanks for the advice. I may just source a Q45 TB and be done with it. I've never heard of hypertune. I googled it and looks like these TBs are like 600-700 bucks. Wow that's pricey!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Q45 all the way, my sir.

If you do happen to get a leak with the Q45, here's something that will save you time.

https://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...shaft-leak-fix

Stuff just gets old...

CelicaSupra.com Member
    So I just got a TB from a 1992 Infiniti q45. My understanding is the TB you want is from years 90-96. I found this one on car-part.com from a junk yard in OK a few hundred miles from me. The guy asked if the car has tesction control. I was like I dunno does that make a difference. Well apparently it does because what he sent me definitely won't work. The Idle speed control valvd is built into the tb. I thought you could separate the iscv motor deal from the main TB. But from what I could tell its all one piece. Am I missing something here? Man every part of this build is turning into a huge pain in the ass. The whole ffim deal is turning out to be not worth it.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Further research on the Nissan club forums suggests that the TB with traction control is the wrong one. They have dual butterflies which would make sense. A traction control car would need a way to regulate engine speed determine by the computer amd whether all tires are getting traction. The one I want is a TB WITHOUT traction control. Ugh.

https://forums.nicoclub.com/did-i-ge...y-t458178.html

https://forums.nicoclub.com/q45-thro...e-t111406.html

And I just double checked the invoice from the junk yard and it clearly states TB without traction control. So I think they screwed up and I didn't know better to double check. Im going to call them Monday to see if they can give me a refund

I didn't expect you to get one from that era, regrettably. There's lots of info on the Q45 stuff, and if it's a newer FFIM, safe bet is the later unit.

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    I have an 80mm tb. I made the adapter to use a stock Toyota TPS.

The TPS fits the ring you currently have
    IMAG0659 by williamb82, on Flickr

The piece I made to move the TPS. The set screw on the side locks it onto the flat part of the shaft. I ended up only using 1 dowel pin to move the TPS. Once the dowel is installed, you need to mark the TPS where the down needs to contact. Mount the TPS, then use that mark to mark the ring the TPS bolts to, then remove the TPS and put the "adapter" on the shaft, and rotate it so the dowel is where it will make contact, and mark the "adapter" where that side set screw needs to be drilled and tapped. Didnt take long to make and was super easy. I used 1/2in aluminum I already had laying around. IIRC it was a 1in hole saw, then drilled the center hole to the right diameter. The dowels are press fit in as the hole was drilled slightly undersize. Works great.

IMAG0668_1 by williamb82, on Flickr

IMAG0684 by williamb82, on Flickr

IMAG0672 by williamb82, on Flickr

Then adjust the TPS so when the throttle is touched it is making instant contact.

IMAG0683 by williamb82, on Flickr

If you are set on using the Q45 TPS, I have the piece you need to turn it. However, the spacers that set the ring away from the TB are missing as well. I cant give you those as I used them to mount the Toyota TPS. I can measure their length though if needed.
    william
    Black 84 7mgte/R154, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Blue 85 Beater. TRD Header, HKS Exhaust, custom 3in intake pipe, cone filter
    Black 86 Triple Weber 6m Eventually
    Rusty 85 Frankenstein 6M/w58 with DIYPNP

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Nick,

I believe that William has you on the right track... I did something similar, but a little different! You need to start with a "Spindle Boss" or something of that sort with a set screw in it. I used a steel part and simply tack welded an old Toyota TPS butterfly to it...

Check out Kinsler's catalog of TPS adapter bosses (P 147-148). They have them for D-shaped shafts and a few other shafts. Again, I just went to the hardware store and picked up a "shaft collar" and tacked a butterfly to it. Worked perfect!

Regards,

Carlos

https://www.kinsler.com/Kinsler-Hand...ML/147/#zoom=z

Thread Information