overheating maybe...

overheating maybe...

I bought an 84 5mge with bad wrist pin about a month ago. It did not have a thermostat, and temp would creep up to the red. If I used an infrared thermostat on it coolant, and hoses would be less than 160o. fast forward to today installed 6m with head from bad wrist pin motor, and still have creeping up temperature gauge. I installed 160o thermostat, and infrared shows no overheating. Previous owner removed heater control valve, and instead of looping line he capped both input, and out on engine. I have burped system, gauge does not do like bad gauge where it clicks and pings to max, it gradually rises to overheating. I have no pinging or lack of power but am nervous. that temp sender is buried on water neck. what do you guys think? Michael

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Infared temp gauges are notoriously hard to get accurate readings from. I wouldn't use that as your guide that its OK. You should describe how it overheats which tell you primarily the function of why. For instance if its only low speed it might be the fan clutch. If its at high speed radiator could be plugged

It can be difficult to burp the cooling system.
    Aim the car steeply up hill and rev the engine....a LOT. The bubble,if it's in there, will be forced to the front and the coolant level may go down. Carefully remove the radiator cap and take a peek.You should see coolant circulating.
    The top hose exits hot coolant-temp than area.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Do you think the plugs on the engine that bypass heater control valve may be a factor? PO capped the lines as opposed to creating a loop.

It was temp sender under dizzy

Thread Information