New Audio Head Units are not optimized for Power Antennas - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend View Post
    Good lord, don't modify the interior plastics. Just get another fog light switch and put it in one of the blank spots in the center console (or toss your coin holder if that's whats filling your blank spot).

Is this for the black or white one?
    It's the black '83.
    For now I'm going to put the switch on the dash...
    I actually have an old filler panel for the lower right side dash panel that used to hide a remote radar detector. When I removed the detector, I purchased a replacement panel. I think that I will use the old panel for a switch.

COVER REMOTE CONTROL MIRROR HOLE 55547-14010-02.jpg
    Filler panel

COVER REMOTE CONTROL MIRROR HOLE 55547-14010-02 2.jpg
    Old filler panel. No existing plastic was hurt in the making of this picture!

I really like the idea of using a rocker switch on the console.
    The coin holder on my '83 is molded into the console. I thought that I have seen some consoles with removable coin inserts.

1983 Console 1.jpg
    1983 Manual Console - top

1983 Console Underside.jpg
    1983 Manual Console - bottom

You can see there are some support structures that would have to be cut out to insert a rocker switch on this console.

1984 Console - Automatic.jpg
    1984 Automatic Console
    This stock console is different. The coin holder has been replaced with the Fog Light switch. Is the 1984 manual console fitted with a removable coin holder here?

Dale
    Last edited by supraz; 06-25-2019 at 09:59 AM.
    Black 1983 P Type 5 Spd, Cloth Interior, BBK,HRE 17" Wheels, HKS Exhaust
    White 1984 P Type Auto, Leather Interior, Sunroof, Digital Dash

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

My European '83 has a rocker switch in the center console that manually runs the antenne up and down.
    But I don't have the central locking or the rear wiper switch there, the wiper switch is on the right side of the instrument cluster..
    '83 Celica Supra 2.8i Euro spec
    '67 Toyota Crown 2000 Special
    A lot of Audis..

The later manual trans consoles are plug, coinholder, foglight switch. On auto cars I think the plug is for the power ECT switch. If you switch consoles you need both pieces since they are soft touch vs hard plastic. That and there is not TC after 83.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMk2 View Post
    The later manual trans consoles are plug, coinholder, foglight switch. On auto cars I think the plug is for the power ECT switch. If you switch consoles you need both pieces since they are soft touch vs hard plastic. That and there is not TC after 83.
    What! No Terra Cotta? The Queen of colours? lol
    I appreciate the heads up. I just put an ad in the Wanted section. I'd better modify it!

Funny how there are a lot more variations through the years than I realized. Until you start looking at something that is!

Dale

Note it's really hard to find nice console from the later years they tend to wear off the top surface and expose the yellow foam underneath. Another suggestion would be to find the trip computer panel and repurpose a button off that.

I just unplugged the power antenna. I haven't listened to fm radio in ages now.
    Was December 1989 when KZEW "The Zoo", the last album rock station in the Dallas/Fort Worth market started playing Christmas music and never came back. That was "the day the music died" in Dallas. I pretty much stopped listening to radio at that point and installed CD changers. I was a product of the late Progressive and Neo-Progressive rock era and so there was no point anymore. All the remaining stations pretty much played just the singles on a loop and as talented as they are, one can only take Pink Floyd's top three or four songs so many times a day. I converted all my vinyl to cassette and started buying CD's online, pretty much anything on the Magna Carta label. Plus I loved concept albums so 20-25 minute arrangements or a whole story album played in sequence you'd never hear on the radio anyway. By the time I retired the Supra from the daily commute in the late 90s, I had burned out and didn't listen to music very much anymore. Fast forward ten years and I'd try Pandora occasionally at home tho with Pandora, you'd create your own channel, perhaps putting in Gentle Giant to start with hoping to get a bunch of deep tracks and within two or three songs it'd be back to Another Brick in the Wall and other top 200 songs.

But a few years ago I finally bought a Jaguar that was new enough to have I-phone connectivity. I subscribed to Apple music and have been enjoying a bunch of great neo-prog bands that I either hadn't listened to since the 80's or that have been formed in only the last few years. There are some great younger bands doing neo-progressive rock.

As for my classic cars, which includes the Supra, I only go to a car show occasionally or for a short joyride and then part of the experience is to roll the windows down and listen to the wonderful sounds made by the car itself. No more than I'd listen to the broadcast radio anymore, I'd put a hidden switch somewhere, maybe inside the glove box or center console just so it would be possible and then probably forget it was there.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

I didnt know about this. My Supra had a toggle switch in that area before the owner did a antenna delete. I guess that's what that switch was for. I need to take the bondo off and put an antenna back in because I like the ones that go up and down. Guess I'll have to make his toggle switch longer so that it's by the dashboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Shyzah View Post
    I didnt know about this. My Supra had a toggle switch in that area before the owner did a antenna delete. I guess that's what that switch was for. I need to take the bondo off and put an antenna back in because I like the ones that go up and down. Guess I'll have to make his toggle switch longer so that it's by the dashboard.
    That's the spirit!

It's the STYLE.Cruise your car in to a parking lot by a group of people and pop the antenna. It makes a statement that says "I'm from the 80s. Be as jealous as you damn well want, I'm different!"
    My wife's '84 has the stock stereo with cassette and she carries in the back seat a brief case with cassettes in it. When she's in the car she plays Paula Abdul:on the cassette natch.

At the age of these cars, they are supposed to look the part. It's like the JDM crowd cruising around with their stretched tires and rubber tow hooks hanging from the back. They understand. If you wanted maximum performance you'd get a new muscle car. Your attitude and the car's attitude are an important part of loving Mk IIs.

Dale

Another suggestion would be to find the trip computer panel and repurpose a button off that.
    There is a rocker switch in there, for the lamps in the keyboard. G/L taking the wires out of it. It's a very tight pcb for the time.
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily driver, RIP...), 2002 E39 ///M5 LMB Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Yup, right on. Im actually 19 year old and grew up around way newer cars. Buying this car last year has been an entire change for me haha. I originally wanted to do something with new wheels slammed and typical modern stuff but i steered towards doing a period correct build. The more i drive the car in its current form the more i realize its better as an original preserved cruiser than a car meant to go fast. Its the reason why im going to rebuild the 6M. Just got done chrome polishing the original wheels a few weeks ago Id also like to buy a OEM 82 83 stereo in case.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Thread Information