New Audio Head Units are not optimized for Power Antennas - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I missed a lot of the 80's music scene because when I bought my X1/9 in late '81, it didn't have a radio, and I never put one in! So until about 1996, I couldn't listen to music in the car.
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Shyzah View Post
    Yup, right on. Im actually 19 year old and grew up around way newer cars. Buying this car last year has been an entire change for me haha. I originally wanted to do something with new wheels slammed and typical modern stuff but i steered towards doing a period correct build. The more i drive the car in its current form the more i realize its better as an original preserved cruiser than a car meant to go fast. Its the reason why im going to rebuild the 6M. Just got done chrome polishing the original wheels a few weeks ago Id also like to buy a OEM 82 83 stereo in case.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
    I think that the 82/83 Stereo is drop dead gorgeous, but whether it's a case of capacitors going bad, or the stereo not being very good, modern stereos sound WAY better.
    I am replacing a 1992 vintage Sony head unit and I had to think long and hard about going modern. I chose to go with the 6.2" Sony touch screen with knob because one can choose a muted background or one can blank the screen entirely so it looks almost as though there is a blank plate in the Double-DIN slot.

I'm running pre-amplifier outputs to a small (vintage) Sony amp under the rear deck and running new lines back to the stock speaker locations plus two small enclosures in the hatch area. The sound output while not overly powerful is very clean, at least by comparison to the stock system.

Back in 1992, I cut the stock stereo wiring harness connector off to attach the Sony. I've just finished reinstalling the stock wiring connector so I can reinstall the stock stereo (which I still have) at a later time. I have a small harness to go from the stock connector to the Sony connector. I will wire the manual antenna switch into this sub harness so things stay stock. In my defense, back in 1992, one could not readily find wiring connectors unless you were a professional installer, but I STILL kick myself for having butchered the harness.

My wife's '84 is essentially stock and has the 1984 stereo. When we want to go full '80s, we take her car!

As I'm sure you've found, these cars do draw some attention. My absolute favourite story is us pulling into a parking lot and a car with 4 young fellows following us in. When we got out of the car, one of them asks "Is that a Supra?" We're standing at the rear of the car with the 5 foot wide billboard decal saying "Supra". Duh, you think? LOL
    Black 1983 P Type 5 Spd, Cloth Interior, BBK,HRE 17" Wheels, HKS Exhaust
    White 1984 P Type Auto, Leather Interior, Sunroof, Digital Dash

Ive heard about the capacitors. Having owned a few 80s Sony HiFi stereo systems, Ive gotten pretty good at replacing capacitors and fixing cracked solder joints so thats no issue. Im just not sure whether i want to sacrafice a double din bluetooth stereo with navigation for a stock 83 stereo. Maybe i should keep the double din in and if I go to toyotafest or JCCS i swap in the old one haha.

As far as look... ohh myy goddd. I didnt know how much attention this car would attract from people. I live i a newer area with people who drive newer stuff so when they see this they kind of have a brain fart. I also thing the front bumper on the 82 83 makes it look more like a sharp arrow since its narrower since the turn signals dont wrap around. I get little kids in the neighborhood yelling at me asking me what car it is. First day I had it I drove to my college to runs some errands and some guy followed me to the parking lot to ask me about it. Apparantly he had never seen a mk2 in real life. It also seems to please the older people as well. Had a few guys in their 50s and 60s tell me about all their car stories when id pull up into the starbucks front parking. So many conversatiosn ive had with random people over a 3000 dollar 37 year old toyota haha.

Also now that it says supra on the back in two places I get little fast and furious kids freaking out too. (Cant wait till i paint that ugly bumper btw)

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Did you luck out and get the car with the Supra filler panel?

I still want one of those, been looking forever.

Dale, fitting some switches in your beat up dash filler panel, or another spare is a good way to go too. I forgot the early cars had only 2 switch pockets and the lock switch there so no spares. I've run switches thru the radio surround and left them sitting inside of my ash tray before too. Thats another good way to get a switch in without damaging anything or exposing another switch.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend View Post
    Did you luck out and get the car with the Supra filler panel?

I still want one of those, been looking forever.

Dale, fitting some switches in your beat up dash filler panel, or another spare is a good way to go too. I forgot the early cars had only 2 switch pockets and the lock switch there so no spares. I've run switches thru the radio surround and left them sitting inside of my ash tray before too. Thats another good way to get a switch in without damaging anything or exposing another switch.
    No i bought it for $400. Hence why theres no plated mounted yet. Currently taped to the back window. Im thinking of using the 944 plate bracket and putting it on the left or right side of the rear bumper. Not the center though.

Here's what I'm going to do.

I have to do the wiring, but I don't think this looks half bad and it also fills the holes in my used panel!

Manual Antenna Panel 800x600.jpg

Yellow LED lit when the antenna is down and the accessory or run switch is on. Green LED lit when the antenna is up.

Quote Originally Posted by supraz View Post
    Back in 1992, I cut the stock stereo wiring harness connector off to attach the Sony.
    There's a special place in hell for you...

Quote Originally Posted by supraz View Post
    I've just finished reinstalling the stock wiring connector...
    absolution
    Dave Harrison

current lineup and year acquired:

'85 white Mark2 7mgte 5sp 1988
    '85 white Mark2 7mgte Auto 2009
    '84 maroon Mark2 6mge 5sp 2013
    '86 red Mark2 7mgte 5sp 2016
    '85 black Mark2 6m Frankenmotor 5sp 2017

Quote Originally Posted by 4SFED View Post
    There's a special place in hell for you...

absolution
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I hear you!

If I knew then what I know now!

I was lucky that the installers the original owner picked for his audio upgrade used an adapter harness between his new radio and the OEM harness. My OEM plugs were untouched, and a $6 mating plug kit let me install my new Alpine unit using the OEM plugs.

Unfortunately they butchered up the plywood spare tire well cover and the carpet to mount the CD changer in the back!
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Thread Information