New Audio Head Units are not optimized for Power Antennas - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMk2 View Post
    I've honestly just thought about putting the stock stereo back in for looks and just buy one of those portable Bluetooth radios they have now.
    What are these? I'm way behind on the technology curve.

I don't like the concept of streaming music (Insert snickers from Millenials here!) I want to OWN my music. If I drop my subscription I still want to have access to it. But on the other hand, if you can stream at a reasonable rate so the data rate/resolution is reasonable, so be it.

This head unit will do Bluetooth streaming from an iPhone, but I don't know at what data rate. I am under the impression that there are Bluetooth enhanced streaming protocols for higher data rate and I have no idea what sort of head unit will support this.

I would also like the stock stereo installed for the look. If a media player was small enough, had reasonable data rate/resolution, and could output to an amplifier, that would be a fabulous solution.

I have an old Sony XM-C1000 6 Channel amplifier under the rear deck wired into stock location speakers plus 2 6X9 enclosures in the hatch area. The sound is quite reasonable.

How would these Bluetooth radios work?
    Black 1983 P Type 5 Spd, Cloth Interior, BBK,HRE 17" Wheels, HKS Exhaust
    White 1984 P Type Auto, Leather Interior, Sunroof, Digital Dash

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by supraz View Post
    What are these? I'm way behind on the technology curve.

I don't like the concept of streaming music (Insert snickers from Millenials here!) I want to OWN my music. If I drop my subscription I still want to have access to it. But on the other hand, if you can stream at a reasonable rate so the data rate/resolution is reasonable, so be it.

This head unit will do Bluetooth streaming from an iPhone, but I don't know at what data rate. I am under the impression that there are Bluetooth enhanced streaming protocols for higher data rate and I have no idea what sort of head unit will support this.

I would also like the stock stereo installed for the look. If a media player was small enough, had reasonable data rate/resolution, and could output to an amplifier, that would be a fabulous solution.

I have an old Sony XM-C1000 6 Channel amplifier under the rear deck wired into stock location speakers plus 2 6X9 enclosures in the hatch area. The sound is quite reasonable.

How would these Bluetooth radios work?
    People still buy music? Youtube to mp3 is the best thing ever.

Also, Pretty sure hes talking about those portable bluetooth speakers that you carry around with you. You dont have to stream music to it. If you have a folder of mp3 music on your phone that you copied over from a PC (assuming you dont have a yucky iphone) then you can just play that through the speaker.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Does anyone have a stock radio for sale? i have an 84' supra

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Shyzah View Post
    People still buy music? Youtube to mp3 is the best thing ever.

Also, Pretty sure hes talking about those portable bluetooth speakers that you carry around with you. You dont have to stream music to it. If you have a folder of mp3 music on your phone that you copied over from a PC (assuming you dont have a yucky iphone) then you can just play that through the speaker.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Now, the question of sound quality comes up. mp3 is a pretty lossy format to start with and then to stream that with a Bluetooth link, you really aren't getting the best audio quality.
    Now, I don't think that the difference between mp3 and ALAC or FLAC is as big as the difference between 8 Track and Audio CD, but there really is an audible difference (In my opinion anyways).

Here it comes....In the olden days............. sound quality was the big concern. Now, everyone seems to be of the impression that mp3 is 'good enough for government work'. I know that a lot of high end audio is snob appeal, but does the convenience of a wireless phone connection trump the sound quality?

I'm not trying to be combative, I'm just trying to get a take on younger people's (that's just about everyone today compared to me) opinion on car audio.

Back in the day, people would go to great lengths to get the highest quality system possible. Now it seems like a mid-range system is considered adequate. Certainly the convenience of wireless connections are great.
    Looking at car audio head units out there, there really only appear to be 2 really high end systems out there. The Sony RSX-GS9 and the Pioneer DEX-P99RS out for the aftermarket. Both these systems are way over what I'm going to pay, but I thought some people out there would have them.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-UApN81...DEX-P99RS.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-gTOylD...y-RSX-GS9.html

If nothing else, they're drop dead gorgeous
    Black 1983 P Type 5 Spd, Cloth Interior, BBK,HRE 17" Wheels, HKS Exhaust
    White 1984 P Type Auto, Leather Interior, Sunroof, Digital Dash

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Here are a few of my thoughts on the matter.

Back when i was young and started driving there was AM/FM radio. Cassette players came later followed by CD's then MP3's.
    each transition brought not only a huge jump in quality but in convenience as well, so while some strive for the BEST sound quality they can have, most younger people, my kids included, opt for convenience.

on top of that, the recent jumps in quality are not as massive as they once where , so they become less noticeable. this happened with TV as well from black/white to color, from color to HDTV, from HDTV to 4K. the adoption of 4K os way slower because HDTV is pretty damn nice.

They can use a number of apps to stream their music to every device they own and it travels with them on the fly, as well as change from headphones to the car stero to the home stereo without every doing anything

as the jumps in quality have narrowed the convenience factor has really taken over. everything is moving to instant gratification, why wait for a download when you can just stream it? why carry a CD or USB stick when you already carry your phone? It really is quite convenient.

for the record i don't stream music - I prefer to own it as well, but what do I know i'm old
    --
    tstefan
    Hidden Content

"Young People" have been force-fed convenience and instant gratification since they were born. They don't care about audio quality, and most of them lack the knowledge to even understand what you're talking about. They've been raised with "Digital is ALWAYS better", and that's all they know.

Sample rate? Bit depth? What is this "CODEC" you speak of?

And while "digital" can be very, very good, most of it isn't, and "CD Quality" audio is hard-limited to a 22.05 kHz maximum audio frequency.

"Ripping" a CD allows you to change some things, but you're stuck with the original CD source material, and you can't make it "better" because the data doesn't exist.

Some media players can reproduce digital files that have far more information than a CD carries, but you'll wind up mastering your own discs from an analog source like a turntable or reel-to-reel because those files are hard to find already made for you.

But when you consider that most cars can't qualify as, and aren't used for, "Listening Rooms", the whole subject becomes moot.

Especially when you're An Olde Farte like me with shot hearing from too many race cars, airplanes, ships, and rock concerts.

- Jim
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Thanks Jim, learn something everyday. Taught CD could be more than 22KHz. But I don't think we (older ones) can hear much above 20K anyway.
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily driver, RIP...), 2002 E39 ///M5 LMB Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Are you talking per channel Jim? CD is 44.1 kHz/16-bit.

Better then CD Quality is pointless IMO. They picked the CD quality rates because they concluded that the human ear couldn't pick up anything outside the range a CD could capture.

As for digital formats, there's all sorts of lossless options now if you want to go that route. But as was pointed out, an automobile is not a great place to listen to music if you are after all the subtleties, even in something like an LS400, the hum of the motor, road and tire noise will drown out a lot of the quieter frequencies. I hear things in my music when listening to it with headphones that I can't make out in the car no matter how loud it is. When I converted my CD collection to MP3 many many years ago now, I ripped the same song to 4 different bit rates from 320kbps down to 128, put them on the highest quality DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) I had at the time (which admittedly was a Sony PSP video game system, but hey, it has a nice sound chip in it), and went and sat in my Black 86 with all component aftermarket speakers, a sub and a high end Sony deck, music piped in from a 3.5 audio cable and tested it all in car, with it off and the volume cranked. I ended up choosing 256kpbs as I couldn't hear a quality difference between that and 320, but there was a very noticeable difference between the other rates. 15 years later or so, no regrets and I think the sound quality in my car is still pretty stellar (albeit utterly pointless as I mostly just autox that car now). I pretty much get all my music at 320kbps now as I stopped buying CDs a long time ago and storage space has become less of a concern (I have a 64gig micro SD card in my Phone, with my music collection taking up about 45gigs). Lossless doesn't make much sense to me, at 256 or higher, its just sounds you can't hear that have been omitted or dead space. Its like a JPEG file set at 100% compression, even at the setting which will not degrade the image quality at all, the file size is still dramatically smaller then something that's totally uncompressed like a PNG etc.

A lot of audiophiles put a lot of focus into their amplifiers and DACs these days. My boss at work has a $2k set of headphones and plays his digital music thru an amp and DAC he built himself, each of which is about the size of a modern Bluray player. Little bit too much overkill for my concert and sub damaged hearing lol
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

The *sample rate* is 44.1, but due to something called "antialiasing", the sample rate winds up being TWICE the highest audio frequency. So a 44.1 sample rate gives you 22.05 "at the speaker".

I agree that most people can't hear above 20kHz, and that's one of the reasons why they picked that sample rate.
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Thread Information