Is it worth the effort? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I sure wish you would post some pictures of your supra, I think you can't still get some good money for a part out. Pictures really help! but anything is possible its tough when you are young to make good clear choices
    this is a great forum and the give out good information, good luck young man.
    if you have a bitch, have a fix, or don't bitch?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Our OP hasn't posted back in a week but it seems like now that we've declared it a loss, the vultures are swooping in. Yes, parting out is an option. Not sure how lucrative given the description of condition, but with most cars, the value of the parts are greater than the value of the whole car. I used to do it, but back 15 years ago, there was very little demand for "running gear" because everyone's local salvage yard still had a few Celicas, Supras and Cressidas and you could still get most mechanical parts new or rebuilt anyway. Plus nobody wanted a 5m engine or most of the driveline because the big thing was engine swaps. Mostly people wanted "crash parts", trim, interior and electrical and that's what I was trying to save from the crusher. Now the salvage yards are empty, there's less new and rebuilt available through parts retailers and there's a little more interest in stock restoration from Gen X'rs who are trying to recapture their youth with a dream car from their high-school years. If the vultures are any indication, there's demand for those parts if you want to put in the effort.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

CelicaSupra.com Member mutantcolors's Avatar
    Vultures seems a bit harsh, how about "fellow Supra owners trying to restore their cars"?

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Well you do have to be aggressive to get the good parts. Sort of "the early bird gets the tinworm". For about twelve years I was trying to get a perfect black upper dash pad, but every time one was posted for sale here on the forum, it was sold within no more than a couple of hours of posting, some within a few minutes. Vultures may not be pretty birds to look at like a macaw, but they do serve a noble purpose.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

Thread Information