1982 P type 1JZ GE action

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member mutantcolors's Avatar

1982 P type 1JZ GE action

And so it begins, after 5 months of research and parts hunting.

Oooh shiny flywheel (thanks JZ series for being manual-swap friendly)

Had to replace the water pump pulley, might as well do 3 lightweights for half the price of the single OEM.

And where it's headed, since I haven't show it off in a while.
    Last edited by mutantcolors; 07-01-2017 at 03:30 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

YOINK! My buddy poses with the old hunk of iron. That thing was significantly heavier than the new one.

Interesting motor! What it come out of? Looking forward to your progress, good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I do not honestly know, but I got lucky in that it's VVTi but with a mechanical fan and throttle by cable, instead of hydraulic fan and electronic throttle, which is vastly more common. For $600 delivered I suspended thinking and started buying.

It has, so far, shared a lot more parts with an SC300 than we were anticipating, so while it's a true JDM model that never appeared in the states, a lot of stuff is available over the counter. When it's all done I'll do a rundown of the parts I had to buy.

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Weird, these things are basically identical to the is300 2jzge.

The really rare one is the direct injection 1jzge...
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

The 1jz ge is a 2.5 liter, and overbore motor (more bore than stroke). Same configuration as my 1jzgte, just less turbos. Should rev nice, similar power to a 6m but a bit less torque perhaps?

Correct that it's basically a short stroke 2JZ. I expect right around 200 ft lbs and hp and fast revs, especially with the 16lb flywheel.
    I'm trying to keep it's NA spirit in tact as well as keep reliability high, so this engine made a lot of sense. Since it's the turboless redheaded stepchild, they are cheap too.

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    How hard is it to find a header for that thing? 2jzge header probably wont fit. Then again, just because the turbo heads are different, might get lucky and the n/a heads be the same exhaust flange pattern.
    william
    Black 84 7mgte/R154, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Blue 85 Beater. TRD Header, HKS Exhaust, custom 3in intake pipe, cone filter
    Black 86 Triple Weber 6m Eventually
    Rusty 85 Frankenstein 6M/w58 with DIYPNP

gotta be a header out there somewhere that can fit. our cars are all about mix and match!

Impossible according to my research, every last thing you get is a turbo manifold. Using the stock one...for now. If someone has a pro tip on a 2JZ header, fill me in. The entire top end is pretty much 2J on this thing.

In case anyone didn't believe that you can swap in an SC300 bellhousing, here ya go. We used the old fork because the T/O bearing clip and the clutch actuator both told us it was the right thing to do. The pivot balls were different but Mr. 19MM socket and Zippy the impact gun made quick work of that. I should have taken a before shot, the oil leaks were so bad the 5M bell was entirely coated on the inside. Saves on clutch wear I guess, hahaha.

Thread Information