Cleaning block for new headgasket. Any chance of this to work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cleaning block for new headgasket. Any chance of this to work?

Hello, i am trying to change headgasket on my 5ME engine. Right now i am trying to get it clean enough to be put together, but i am not too happy with how the surface on the block is looking. I have scraped with razors, used scotch brite pads with different kind of solvents but getting it absolutely clean seems almost impossible. There is some pitting around the coolant passages that i am a bit unsure of how bad it is... Getting the engine out and having it resurfaced is not something i would look forward to do...

Since i don't have much experience with what you can get away with in these circumstances i would appreciate some comments and thoughts on what you guys think it looks like and how you would have proceeded Is there any chance that i can get away with just putting it together looking like this and be fine for a year or two before having to fix it again?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

That looks fine. If you want it clean and flat you take it to a shop. The 5m will be good with stock gasket and proper torque. Make sure cylinder head is just as clean and flush.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is copper coat recommended in this case?
    Scotch Bright is the best way,IMO.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tdream View Post
    That looks fine. If you want it clean and flat you take it to a shop. The 5m will be good with stock gasket and proper torque. Make sure cylinder head is just as clean and flush.

Thanks! Cylinder head cleaned up a lot better than the block did at least. I'll give it a try since i can't really get into any more advanced restoration and have the engine sent away at the moment anyways

Quote Originally Posted by ddd228 View Post
    Is copper coat recommended in this case?
    Scotch Bright is the best way,IMO.
    None of my books mention this at least so i don't think so. Just some silicone around the oil passages is what is recommended there. Yes, that was what worked best. But the images above are the result of like three days of scrubbing And it is looking a lot better now than when i started at least. But now i kind of feel like i can't get it any better.

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    As long as you are not using a metal head gasket, it should be fine. Also, I have never heard of it saying to put silicone around the oil passages. That is a bad idea. If it gets in them, you will have big problems. There are just a couple of spots at the front where the timing cover meets the block that usually get a very light smear of gasket sealer, and that is it.
    william
    Black 84 7mgte/R154, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Blue 85 Beater. TRD Header, HKS Exhaust, custom 3in intake pipe, cone filter
    Black 86 Triple Weber 6m Eventually
    Rusty 85 Frankenstein 6M/w58 with DIYPNP

CelicaSupra.com Member Funkycheeze's Avatar
    Yeah that is fine for a fibre head gasket - make sure both surfaces are scrubbed and rinsed clean with brake cleaner and then install the gasket. Don't add any extra sealer or other products.

If you wanted to get it cleaner in the car, you can use a large honing stone (basically a big heavy flat piece of cast iron that you move across the block deck by hand) with polishing compound, usually 120 then 300+ grit in 2 stages. That can get it clean and flat enough for a MHG.
    '84 P-type, 5spd, torrid red, black/grey leather
    Built 7MGTE (JE's, ARP studs, MHG), BOSS STG4 60mm, AEM standalone, R154, 2 1/2" IC and 3" turbo back - the works
    Coilovers, ROH wheels, 4 corner BBK, Konis, ADDCO bars, PST bushings etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkycheeze View Post
    Yeah that is fine for a fibre head gasket - make sure both surfaces are scrubbed and rinsed clean with brake cleaner and then install the gasket. Don't add any extra sealer or other products.

If you wanted to get it cleaner in the car, you can use a large honing stone (basically a big heavy flat piece of cast iron that you move across the block deck by hand) with polishing compound, usually 120 then 300+ grit in 2 stages. That can get it clean and flat enough for a MHG.
    But how would you adequately keep the compound from falling down into the cylinders and oil passages? Seems to me that's only something you'd do with a bare block out of the car.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

Do that with the block out. Usually do a hot tank after.

CelicaSupra.com Member Funkycheeze's Avatar
    You set the crank so all the pistons are down a bit, this lets you wipe it out of the bores after. Then use some gasket maker to plug up all the water jacket and oil holes, flatten these plugs with a razor blade after they are dry - then you can start polishing. After you are done use a small pick to pop the plugs out.
    '84 P-type, 5spd, torrid red, black/grey leather
    Built 7MGTE (JE's, ARP studs, MHG), BOSS STG4 60mm, AEM standalone, R154, 2 1/2" IC and 3" turbo back - the works
    Coilovers, ROH wheels, 4 corner BBK, Konis, ADDCO bars, PST bushings etc. etc.

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    That pitting around the coolant jacks is actually quite bad. I hope you are serious about wanting to do this in a year or 2 as that is the most likely scenario here. I personally would do what Funky suggested if you can get an appropriate tool, or remove it and have a machine shop do it properly. I don't even recommend people use fibre head gaskets at this point to be honest, they are all crap and will seep in time. Especially if you have pitting like this. If you are not going to deal with this right, I'd try a few coats of copper spray on the best made in japan HG you can find (don't spray the block), on both sides. Silicone won't fly, but I've never had any issues running the copper spray.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Thread Information