Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1985 P Type White Mistress

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  dannoxyz 
#1 ·
My new mistress. 1985 P Type Mk2, White, no sunroof, nice blue seats that were replaced by insurance company because the originals were stolen. 169k miles on the odo driven by a nice lady who paid $15k for it new. It is an auto however I have a nice steel plate W58 for it in case I get ambitious. A project is that last thing I need at the moment so the initial to do list is to just basic restore TLC.

I posted a wanted parts list for this great cause.

David

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: JesseT
#2 ·
David, Great find!! Congrats!!

#6 · (Edited)
Fast forward three years....
I am still carrying on an affair with the mistress. I found her a place to stay and keep her clean and cool.

It was a great relief to get her under the roof of a garage and up on stands with the hood off. First order of business was to remove the original 5MGE and Auto Trans and then clean up the engine bay. I had purchased a 6M a few years before and was prepping the block, crank, rods, pistons and head for a rebuild.
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive wheel system
Before elbow grease Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle
After elbow grease

Hood Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle Tire
The original 5MGE ran great (except when not due to electrical ground issue) but smoked like a champ..
Automotive tire Gas Machine Auto part Engineering
6MGE block after hot tank, cylinder hone in stock bore, deck surface and repaint by Machine Motor Shop.
Bottle Wood Barware Glass bottle Alcoholic beverage
Tool Metal Household hardware Kitchen utensil Bicycle part
The rebuild will have 7MGTE rods resized by MMS. There were two rods that weighed 5 grams less than the other four so I had to find another 2 rods (on ebay) and get them resized and weight adjusted so now all rods together with pistons, rings and bearings are balanced +- 1 gram with new ARP rod bolts.

Product Automotive tire Rectangle Font Composite material
I bought the cylinder head from a guy in the high desert who had it ported, polished and decked. It was dusty from sitting so I took it to Quality (?) Machine Shop for a cleaning, installation of +1MM exhaust valves with new seats, new seals and 3 angle grind.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Metalworking Vehicle brake
The infamous front housing. After the block was surfaced the front housing was match surfaced to the new deck height.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim Automotive wheel system
All of the tolerances were within good spec so stock bearings and pistons installed and checked with plasti guage. A new HKS 1.2mm metal head gasket installed.

More to follow and catch up to date on regarding the trials and tribulations phase of getting all the parts needed for re-assembly.

Reactions: AF85
#9 ·
"Read the first post... "a project is the last thing I need" 🤣 🤣 🤣 Looking VERY nice man! Be sure to post a vid of first fire up for us, I'm sure it'll sound awesome. "

I now seem to need a project or rather when I am immersed in a restoration of love act it is a soothing tonic to the grind and chaos of tending to responsibilities. A second childhood if you will...

As for the first fire up, soon after but not the 1st. LOL. It's always dicey on the first fire up so I will hold off until after it is not blowing fluids or something like Hindenburg.

I have enjoyed the project very much which from start of search to the present is about 5 years with the search taking 2 years alone for something suitable nearby by to.

Thanks to all that support this site by adding helpful knowledge and contributing to the brain trust for these great cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.