Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

'82 Igniter/coil assembly.$150,shipped.

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Khlause 
#1 ·
#2 ·
That is actually kinda tempting to buy for potential future needs, but I have been thinking outside the box on the whole Supra engine management and feel trying to keep the factory equipment running on a less than stock car might be a waste of my time.. I have actually been strongly considering building my own engine management system using Honda V6 components simply because Honda electronics are robust (unlike most aftermarket jobs) yet like the after market can be programmed in a painless and reasonably affordable way.. Kinda like GM stuff only way less costly.

On a side note, I have a question for you Dave, a few years back I took that core 5M engine off your hands; I have a kid that's interested in building his supra but he's picky for some reason even tho I am giving him all the parts free. What I am trying to find out for him since he's a forum coward (he's reading this as I write it); what year block is that? Also that was a blown head gasket or cracked block / head water issue yes no?

#3 ·
The core engine that you got for free,well you came from Tacoma to get it, IS an '84 engine with MASSIVE oil leaks and was rebuilt @ 80K miles by the P.O. It Was/IS tired and needs to be gone through. It does have oversize rings and pistons.

It is NOT a bolt -in- and- go engine!
I took the harmonic dampener off B-4 you got it.
BHG? Unknown. It is a core engine.FREE. It has never overheated.Compression is down.
He needs to be aware that it needs a rebuild!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Head and maybe a block re surface.

I would blow this guy off,if I were you. He wants a bolt in and it ain't that!
It does have a new water pump and cam seals.Big deal.

https://imgur.com/W59pySo

#4 ·
That's kinda what I remembered, thanks for confirming my "It's a core" statement I made too him.

For whatever reason this kid want's my rattle trap 86 motor that's needs a crank and rod / bearings. (also a core)

Whatever, I got one of them out of my shop so that makes me happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.