Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Greetings from Alberta

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Deanfun 
#1 ·
My first car was a 1983 GT liftback, and I've been thinking a while about getting a better version of that car, either a Celica GTS or a Supra, so it looks like this is the place to be!

Because they're so rare around here I've been thinking of looking for parts in the local salvage yards before I even buy a car. I'm curious what's the best source to figure out if parts on a Celica GTS are the same part on a Supra (eg fender flares, back hatch, etc).

-Chris

#3 ·
front fender flares match as well but not the fenders.

#4 ·
Let me know what you find as far as junkyard/salvage yard stuff goes. I'm located in Okotoks and I haven't been able to find much in the way of used parts. I need rocker panels and I can't seem to find any. I'm not much for custom fabrication so I'm just looking to find better ones than what's currently on mine.

As for one's currently for sale in the area, there are a few on Kijiji, but they're waaaaaaay overpriced. I got my 85 P-Type for 1600 and it's been my daily driver since I bought it in May. Just needs rockers and either a new diff or just a rebuild on the current one. Otherwise in decent shape other than minor paint chips and imperfections that are to be expected of a 34-year-old car.

#5 ·
There is currently a 1983 Supra at the 52nd St Pick n Pull. I went to see what useful parts were on it but sadly it must have been involved in the 2013 flood as, well, there was moss growing on the carpet and when I removed an exterior marker light it had mud inside.

Anyway, I was able to salvage a few marker light lenses and the plastic kick panel trim pieces. The hood and front fenders looked ok. Paint was faded though. Nothing fabric or electric will be usable unfortunately, except perhaps some simplistic electrical piece like a light. Interior plastic pieces might be ok, all fabric, seats, carpet are completely wrecked.Hatch is rusted right out. Bumper/grill/etc are all gone but headlights are still there. It's automatic. The diff was still there a week ago.

I've started keeping an eye out for Celica GTS' and Supras at the salvage yards, figured I might as well start collecting parts now before I go shopping for one in 2020 or 2021.

#8 ·
Dropped by this afternoon; the car is ready for the crusher I think. I needed a few pieces but unfortunately, only one thing I needed was there, which were the knobs to adjust the automatic A/C and such. You may have got to everything else that I needed. Funny though, I'm not sure if the employees typed it in wrong, but they all said that there were no Supra's at any Pick-N-Pulls in the area (I accidentally went to the Barlow one first, so they told me the same thing) so I was thinking it had already been crushed. I'm glad I got what little I could from it, though.

#9 ·
All I actually took were a few marker lights and plastic kick plates, it was pretty stripped before I got there. Re: your comment about custom fabbing rocker panels, I may learn to weld and try my hand at just that for my 96 Maxima that I'm partially restoring but also using as a restoration test before I try it on a car that's worth a lot more, so I'll let you know how that goes.

#10 ·
Check out the alberta supra club on facebook - lots of members and a few mk2 parts hoarder types.

#14 ·
All Canadian mk2s are LSD. There should be a sticker on the back diff cover that says 'use only LSD oil'.

RA6X celica GTS uses the same diff but only the last couple model years.

#15 ·
All Canadian mk2s are LSD. There should be a sticker on the back diff cover that says 'use only LSD oil'.
I'm glad you brought that up because I didn't notice that on mine. I've just been putting conventional diff oil in it and have been none the wiser. The diff is screwed anyway (it's been howling like crazy since I bought it) so I'm wondering if that's how it came to be bad in the first place.

#16 ·
IF you have an LSD and don't add the friction modifier,you will KNOW IT!
It will sound like and feel like an earthquake,going around a corner!
I used Ford stuff.
BTW: Redline 75W-85 is the frikken' BEST lube for our trannies and diffs. It has the friction modifier already.
I'm on my 3rd pumpkin,the first 2 were screamers.4.10 LSD's.
Be prepared to pay 2-4 hundred dollars,U.S. for a used one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.