How is your State NOT classic car friendly?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How is your State NOT classic car friendly?

Some are OK,others not so good.
    Using their criteria,you may be surprised to see who is #1: BEST State for classic cars.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...0_Weekend_News

Some of the criteria is not so important. Some REALLY are.

Length of driving season.
    Do they salt the roads?
    Are the roads terrible with pot holes?
    How is traffic?
    Emission requirements.Inspection requirements.
    Ease of title/registration transfers and COST.
    Last edited by ddd228; 07-20-2019 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Best and worst.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I've never been hassled in Texas about my 1985 vintage plates but then again, I've never driven it work. I've seen people who do "cheat", but the bigger risk is not a ticket, but rather that somebody runs into you. One thing I have noticed about driving classic cars is that people tend to come awfully close. Its actually human nature to steer toward whatever you are looking at. Some bonehead is staring at your Supra because they haven't seen one in 25 years, and WHAM! Then you're left trying to explain to Haggerty or other classic insurance carrier why you were driving your classic Japanese sports car on a Monday morning on the freeway during rush hour. But we do have awful roads here for sure. The only reason for paving in Texas has nothing to do with making a smooth surface to drive on, but rather we only put down a thin coat of asphalt just to keep the dust down.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I tried Commifornia about two years ago with no fruit from my labor of many hours of trying to get my 1986 Cressida Wagon on historical plates. It certainly met all of the criteria however instead they voided the PNO that was on it and charged me around $900 for all kinds of fees and penalties. I won't go into too many boring details except to say that the CA DMV is trained to use strong arm tactics to extract the maximum amount of money from car owners as prescribed by law. California used to publish their motor vehicle codes on line however last I checked they removed it. In the vehicle code book are the requirements to register a historical car. Not only did they remove the vehicle code from the state DMV web site they changed the number of some codes so now if you try to use old codes they will play dumb over the counter as if it does not exist anymore. It's as if Kafka himself runs the DMV.

And yes, the roads are very bad. When they do construction on surface streets here in San Diego the patch jobs are at best third world quality. The roads are so bad here I am worried that Trump will build the wall to the north of us.
    Last edited by ToyodaSup; 07-21-2019 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdupler View Post
    .. But we do have awful roads here for sure. The only reason for paving in Texas has nothing to do with making a smooth surface to drive on, but rather we only put down a thin coat of asphalt just to keep the dust down.
    Really? Last year when I was down in Austin I don't think I hit a pot hole the entire week on the freeways? Inside of town on the city roads it was a little iffy. California on the other hands is probably only second to Afghanistan in road quality. The thing I couldn't figure out in Texas is that it seemed almost impossible to drive on the freeway without paying a toll. In CA the toll is they let you drive in the carpool lane, but you can always drive in the other 3 or 4 lanes for free.

The worst thing in CA IMO is the other drivers. There is just so many morons and a-holes. It's getting so bad I hate just leaving the house any more.

Austin is the capital, though. If the governor is personally annoyed, its just a phone call to TXDOT get it fixed.
    Phil D.

Kalifornia besides smog rules, DMV is down right menacing...You can have a commercial Class A license but you cant drive a fire engine? Granted the endorsement on the license(s) are a bit different... haz mat endorsement, SCBA compressed air tank endorsement...we have to have a little piece of paper signed by the Chief and carry it with us to be legal to drive a fire apparatus... Lots of the young kids have never driven a manual trans, changed their own oil more less driven a 40K lb truck...
    Regards,
    Arch
    '86 Supra MA67
    Brullen 2.5" Exhaust, HKS Fly w/7MGE clutch,ST Springs, RC Intake & TB, 2.8GT & XX emblems, Factory Add on Rear Shoulder belts, Pioneer DEH-P2000 AM/FM/CD w/CDS-P5000 CD Player, Compomotive CXNs 8x16

CelicaSupra.com Member aerojock's Avatar
    Phil D,

I love you note. So you are why they are changing the signs to read "obey instead of observe the signs? LOL.

Seattle traffic is HELL from 2-6 PM.
    Seattle has 'car fool' lanes and a few toll roads.
    Seattle rain: Too much!
    Seattle snow/ice: About 2 months of the year.
    Seattle roads: I've seen worse.
    Seattle license fees are nasty!(King County)$160.00 for my '84? Sheesh!
    I don't qualify for classic car insurance on a daily driver.
    Most cops are OK,here.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

Pennsylvania roads are either pothole filled or very smooth and new, the only problem is to get to the smooth roads you have to go on the pothole ones

Quote Originally Posted by aerojock View Post
    Phil D,

I love you note. So you are why they are changing the signs to read "obey instead of observe the signs? LOL.
    Not so much anymore, but I used to be. When I was much younger, right out of college, driving my first Supra, on at least two separate occasions, police parked their radar trailer directly in front of my house, you know the one that says "The speed limit is XX, Your speed is YY". Very strange since I lived on a little residential street just one city block long, hardly long enough for most cars to even accelerate up to the speed limit, let alone get there by mid-block. I really think they were trying to tell me something.
    Phil D.

Thread Information