Looking to purchase a MKII Supra - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    The "whiskers" are the black plastic trim that snap into the header panel immediately in front of the headlamp when it's closed.

They deteriorate after some years, turn brittle, crack, and eventually just crumble away like so many of the plastic parts on these cars do.
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpiius View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, what are 'whiskers'? haha. And it's interesting because the Celica GTS and Supra interior pieces often look very similar, but I was planning on making some measurements to see if they are indeed the same parts, thanks for the heads up that they often aren't.
    They look similar and will bolt up, but are "cheaper". Center consoles, dashes, side panels, rear seats, are all different. For instance the a pillar trim on a Celica is hard plastic vs soft touch on the supra.

Thanks for tips about the subtle differences between the Supra and Celica parts, indeed although the vinyl appears similar on the A pillar covers , the Supra ones definately have some sort of thin foam under the vinyl allowing some give, whereas any give on the Celica one is from the underlying structure flexing. It would be an improvement over cracked Supra covers, but wouldn't be as nice as the real deal.

I have the MK II Supra that you might want--it's stored in a friend's barn about an hour north of the DFW area. While it's not really For Sale, someone with as much interest as you deserves a note, just in case. Frankly, it's part of the family but . . . .

Detail: 1985 P-Type, White over Red, 5-speed Manual, 225k miles, no rust, excellent paint and interior (even the dash is as new with no cracks). Also, plenty of parts saved over the years as well--boxes of lights, trim, and more.

I purchased it at two-years old in 1987 and have maintained it extremely well ever since. It's been garage- or barn-parked and rarely driven about twice a year now because it has an AC coolant (-134a conversion, btw) leak that no one could really pin down, so we just stopped driving it.

Other issues:

1. Only Genuine Toyota key around--we have others, just can't find them!

2. Aftermarket radio (original still in a box though).

3. Lift gate latch is slightly bent; won't latch properly. I'm looking for a new one.

4. Intake hoses are original; one has a small gap which is possibly allowing air to leak in, although engine runs fine.

5. One of the seat belt retractor plastic arms is broken (passenger's door).

Anyone can see pics here at a link I have just removed--with only 1 post "To be able to post links or images your post count must be greater.

Really?

Geesh.

Let me know if you can't find a decent one near you and perhaps we might work something out?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMk2 View Post
    They look similar and will bolt up, but are "cheaper". Center consoles, dashes, side panels, rear seats, are all different. For instance the a pillar trim on a Celica is hard plastic vs soft touch on the supra.
    Yes and FWIW, all the Supras came with Automatic Climate Control as well, something not available on the Celica, even as an option.

Okay, let's try posting the link to those pics again:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pEMAkHX6E8bZimwy5

Wouahhh!
    That is a nice one, even with the higher mileage it does look very, very nice. Were the wheels redone?
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily driver, RIP...), 2002 E39 ///M5 LMB Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by RedP85 View Post
    Wouahhh!
    That is a nice one, even with the higher mileage it does look very, very nice. Were the wheels redone?
    Yes, about 5 or 6 years ago, when I replaced the previous tires.

I also have another complete set of chrome wheels (which wasn't a great idea), but they're not in great shape.

Engine has never been apart, except for the valve guide seals which is a common repair.

High mileage is nothing on a Toyota--IF you change all the fluids regularly:-)

The intake hoses (I'm assuming you mean the rubber "boots" that connect the hard pieces) can be replaced with properly sized "Silicone Hose" like what's used on intercooler piping. There's a zillion sizes available, including adapter sizes to go between pipes of different sizes.

I have the measurements of the hard pipe sizes, and you can get the hose on eBay, or I might have some left as I usually buy more than one of an item.

- Jim
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Thread Information