All gears gone, except 4th.

All gears gone, except 4th.

Need some advice or help or, well something.

I was driving down the highway some time ago, when the horrible smell of burning transmission fluid washed over me and 5th gear turned into what felt like a Neutral. I shifted to 4th and didn't shift again until I got home.

As I parked in the driveway, I threw the car into all the other gears, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th and Reverse. Nothing, no movement, only revving as if the car wasn't in gear at all. Only 4th did anything. The clutch had been slipping a bit for a little while before this, and as dumb as I was, l let it go since I didn't drive it much.

The car has been sitting for the better part of 2 years now, as I have not had the time or energy to get around to it, but now I do and I'm looking for a solution.

What are my chances the transmission is salvageable in any way? Perhaps it's fixable, or maybe it's just the clutch? Is it possible to be rebuilt, or should I look into finding a working transmission?

What are your guys' thoughts? Car in question is an '85 CS with a 5 speed transmission.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Lrmuller45 View Post
    Need some advice or help or, well something.

I was driving down the highway some time ago, when the horrible smell of burning transmission fluid washed over me and 5th gear turned into what felt like a Neutral. I shifted to 4th and didn't shift again until I got home.

As I parked in the driveway, I threw the car into all the other gears, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th and Reverse. Nothing, no movement, only revving as if the car wasn't in gear at all. Only 4th did anything. The clutch had been slipping a bit for a little while before this, and as dumb as I was, l let it go since I didn't drive it much.

The car has been sitting for the better part of 2 years now, as I have not had the time or energy to get around to it, but now I do and I'm looking for a solution.

What are my chances the transmission is salvageable in any way? Perhaps it's fixable, or maybe it's just the clutch? Is it possible to be rebuilt, or should I look into finding a working transmission?

What are your guys' thoughts? Car in question is an '85 CS with a 5 speed transmission.

Thanks in advance.

Buy another transmission, that one is done..

Odds are the countershaft bearings are flat gone and the counter shaft is no longer in contact with the main shaft in any meaningful way. The results are catastrophic and it will be less expensive to just buy a working Toyota 5 speed. OR the countershaft broke.. OR the input shaft gear teeth are stripped off. All of these situations are unfortunate and just a symptom of old transmission with out enough oil. Likely you lost an oil seal due to age and all the lube went byby..

You do have options outside of the strict "Supra" transmission.. The Supra uses the W58, this series of transmission is also used in the 4 Cyl Toyota Celica and Toyota pickup.

The 5Speed manuals from the Celica of the same era are the same W58, and I do believe the gear ratios are the same; you should check.. As for the rear end diff gears, these are different so the speedometer tail housing gear is different; you will need to swap this if you get one of these.

The 5 speed manuals from 82?? to 95 Toyota Pickup trucks are are a W56 or G56 and are similar enough you can use them if you are not worried about keeping the exact gear individual gear ratios. Just like the 4 cyl Celica the rear end gears in the Pickup are different and you will need your Supra tail shaft speedo gear so that the speedo is accurate.

If you do source a 5 Speed from a Toyota Celica 4cyl or a Toyota Pickup 4 cyl you will need to be sure to use your old bell housing, the 4 cyl bell housing is different, but the transmission will bolt up to the Supra housing no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Khlause View Post
    Buy another transmission, that one is done..

Odds are the countershaft bearings are flat gone and the counter shaft is no longer in contact with the main shaft in any meaningful way. The results are catastrophic and it will be less expensive to just buy a working Toyota 5 speed. OR the countershaft broke.. OR the input shaft gear teeth are stripped off. All of these situations are unfortunate and just a symptom of old transmission with out enough oil. Likely you lost an oil seal due to age and all the lube went byby..

You do have options outside of the strict "Supra" transmission.. The Supra uses the W58, this series of transmission is also used in the 4 Cyl Toyota Celica and Toyota pickup.

The 5Speed manuals from the Celica of the same era are the same W58, and I do believe the gear ratios are the same; you should check.. As for the rear end diff gears, these are different so the speedometer tail housing gear is different; you will need to swap this if you get one of these.

The 5 speed manuals from 82?? to 95 Toyota Pickup trucks are are a W56 or G56 and are similar enough you can use them if you are not worried about keeping the exact gear individual gear ratios. Just like the 4 cyl Celica the rear end gears in the Pickup are different and you will need your Supra tail shaft speedo gear so that the speedo is accurate.

If you do source a 5 Speed from a Toyota Celica 4cyl or a Toyota Pickup 4 cyl you will need to be sure to use your old bell housing, the 4 cyl bell housing is different, but the transmission will bolt up to the Supra housing no problem.
    Hey, thanks a lot for the info and advice! I'll have to look into each of these options and see what I can do, I don't mind sourcing a transmission from a different car, even as a temporary engagement to at least get the car driving again. My biggest issue so far with the w58 is finding one for a relatively good price/condition in my area.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    Drain the trans fluid and see whats what. If you see metal coming out, get another trans.
    william
    Black 84 7mgte/R154, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Blue 85 Beater. TRD Header, HKS Exhaust, custom 3in intake pipe, cone filter
    Black 86 Triple Weber 6m Eventually
    Rusty 85 Frankenstein 6M/w58 with DIYPNP

Quote Originally Posted by williamb82 View Post
    get another trans.
    And while you're at it, do the clutch, too.
    Dave Harrison

current lineup and year acquired:

'85 white Mark2 7mgte 5sp 1988
    '85 white Mark2 7mgte Auto 2009
    '84 maroon Mark2 6mge 5sp 2013
    '86 red Mark2 7mgte 5sp 2016
    '85 black Mark2 6m Frankenmotor 5sp 2017

Quote Originally Posted by 4SFED View Post
    And while you're at it, do the clutch, too.
    Already plan on it.

CelicaSupra.com Member Funkycheeze's Avatar
    Yeah 4th is a direct drive gear so it sounds like something pretty catastrophic. I would just replace the transmission with a known good one and put in good fluid like MT90. And do the clutch of course.
    '84 P-type, 5spd, torrid red, black/grey leather
    Built 7MGTE (JE's, ARP studs, MHG), BOSS STG4 60mm, AEM standalone, R154, 2 1/2" IC and 3" turbo back - the works
    Coilovers, ROH wheels, 4 corner BBK, Konis, ADDCO bars, PST bushings etc. etc.

Thread Information