Need to fix my power antenna but cant find a Mast with cable replacement - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ahhhhh, yes, the oh so British and very classic "Tweed Sports Car Cap"!

I'll probably take your dimensions and make a drawing before I cut any metal. Just the way I roll.....
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member rhartmaier's Avatar
    I put one of the Metra antennas in my Explorer and also learned the hard way to make sure the thingy on the end is in place before attempting to operate it. It was still working ten years later when the Ford suffered the dreaded Explorer timing chain failure. The service center wanted almost $6,000 to put in a reman Jasper engine, so instead the truck was scrapped. I managed to score a working original antenna from Kevin before he moved out all of his parts, but it is good to know that a Metra will work if I need one in the future. Thanks for the great write up.
    Bob

CelicaSupra.com Member
    One other detail to note is that depending on the year, our cars came with two different power antenna assemblies and that they take totally different replacement parts. I believe that parts may still be available for the later one but not the early one. At the moment, I can't recall exactly when the change was made, but I believe that it was sometime during 85 production. That being said, I wouldn't repair either simply due to cost and expected life and that the next time it failed, parts would likely be unobtanium.
    In the past, I also installed and used a Hirschman antenna and it was great until it got damaged. I now have the Metra and did not need to modify the ferules from my original antenna. This may only be necessary on the earlier OEM unit. While Dales mounting bracket looks and works great, it's pretty easy to modify the original one to align the antenna mast properly. The advantage to using the original bracket or one like Dale made is that it is a much firmer mount than something like plumbers strap would be. BTDT.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rhartmaier View Post
    the Ford suffered the dreaded Explorer timing chain failure. Thanks for the great write up.
    Bob
    They don't call 'em Exploders for nothing.

And thanks for the great write-up. Although it seems that I hardly listen to radio anymore. Anyone else getting away from FM?
    Dave Harrison

current lineup and year acquired:

'85 white Mark2 7mgte 5sp 1988
    '85 white Mark2 7mgte Auto 2009
    '84 maroon Mark2 6mge 5sp 2013
    '86 red Mark2 7mgte 5sp 2016
    '85 black Mark2 6m Frankenmotor 5sp 2017

If/when my Metra, and the spare, wear out or get broken, I'm just going to replace it with a 26" one-piece stainless whip.
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Quote Originally Posted by 4SFED View Post
    They don't call 'em Exploders for nothing.

And thanks for the great write-up. Although it seems that I hardly listen to radio anymore. Anyone else getting away from FM?
    Not at all. The FM radio here is fabulous. It blows the Lost Angeleez FM radio all to Hell and Back as far as variety of the music, and the quality of the DJ's. Much fewer commercials, too. I've dropped Sirius/XM on my Jeep because I don't need the traffic reports any longer, and the $25/month they've been gouging out of me is no longer worth it.

And if I'm too far away from the city to listen to the radio, I switch to my USB Stick-Full-O-Stuff, and listen to that.

And besides, who needs music when you have a sweet 5M soundtrack to listen to, and plenty of twisty-turny roads with gorgeous scenery on the Main View Screen?

- Jim
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Mostly NO tunes. FM radio and some talk shows that are good.
    Crappy reception? Pop in a CD and cruise.
    My car does not make me bored at all.
    My driving is 80% vision and 20% auditory. I keep my head on a swivel and watch what is happening around me. The music is not required most times,anyway.
    Seldom do I drive in the "Fast Lane". I'll hang on the Interstate and set my own pace. The cruise control works,again and I like it.
    Night driving is not good for these old eyes,but the traffic is much less,anyway.
    At dusk,I'll pop on the headlights and see how much my cruise control losses RPM,for fun.
    I will NEVER drive after a few beers.
    My extreme rock tunes makes me speed WAY over the speed limit. "Oh shit,I'm doing 80!" I cannot hear the RPM,just the tunes. Then,I catch myself messing with the bass and treble and the balance and not paying attention to the other drivers and the crap on the roadway: Tire chunks,couch cushions and bark and rocks flying out of the larger trucks.

Our cars have really good brakes!

I really cannot devote my full attention to the road when I'm distracted by my music and my cell phone going off at random.
    My male brain can focus on only ONE thing at a time: My car.

In my man cave(SHED),it's a different story. BASS WARS with the neighbors.
    I can shake the snow off of my roof.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

This could (and probably already has...) turn into it's own thread!

1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Quote Originally Posted by ddd228 View Post
    In my man cave(SHED),it's a different story. BASS WARS with the neighbors.
    I can shake the snow off of my roof.
    When I listen to Blue Oyster Cult, so do my neighbors.
    Dave Harrison

current lineup and year acquired:

'85 white Mark2 7mgte 5sp 1988
    '85 white Mark2 7mgte Auto 2009
    '84 maroon Mark2 6mge 5sp 2013
    '86 red Mark2 7mgte 5sp 2016
    '85 black Mark2 6m Frankenmotor 5sp 2017

Thread Information