hello, 1984 p type supra

hello, 1984 p type supra

Hi im Phillip
    quick backstory. Ive always wanted one since I saw by friend's in high school. While at work we were talking about old cars and a co-worker said his step father had one in his backyard. Turns out he was rebuilding the cylinder head for a buddy and he passed away unexpectedly. So car has been sitting since it got there one year ago. I talked to the owner and bought it for 500. head is redone . its a project but mostly complete.

I towed it home and started doing an inventory of the car and found a receipt in the car from 06 stating a motor exchange. The motor listed is a 6m-ge long block. I checked the car and it does have that block installed.
    so not sure if thats good or bad but i want to rebuild it . No luck finding a re-build kit for it. and specifics on what I need?
    Thanks

1984 Supra P-type
    5 speed 4.30 rear end
    white with burgandy interior/ my door cards are rough

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

That's actually a good find. 6mge is basically a 5mge motor with the crank and rods from an early 7mge which makes it a 3.0L instead of 2.8L. Think of it as a stroker kit for a 5mge. Just buy a full gasket set for a 5mge stock engine and then separately buy the front main seal and oil pump drive shaft seal for an early 7mge. Head is all 5m stuff. Crank and rod bearings are early 7m as I recall and I think the piston rings are the same as stock 5m. Sorry, its only been 20 years since I rebuilt a 6m. Someone who has done it more recently may jump in and confirm or correct me.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

Good info from Phil. I might add that you probably have flat, low-comp. pistons in the stock 6M. You can put in high comp. pistons and get more power.
    83-Red P-type , 6M,. LJM strut-bar, RC intake,Thorley header,Tenzo 17" wheels, cross-drilled rotors, Eibach springs, KYB shocks, 85 hatch and int., 82 header panel=Frankenkar

87 4 Runner, White, 22RE, 302K on original motor, still strong

"This car is so loud , I heard you before I saw you!" said the nice policeman. Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member wagzilla's Avatar
    Welcome to the crew nice find
    if you have a bitch, have a fix, or don't bitch?

Phillip, Welcome to the forums!! Great find BTW!!

You need to read Tanya's thread on the 6M kinda like the encyclopedia for the 6M...

https://www.celicasupra.com/forums/s...light=tanya+6M

You might need the Photobucket Hotlink fix to view the pics...

I just searched Tanya 6M for results...
    Regards,
    Arch
    '86 Supra MA67
    Brullen 2.5" Exhaust, HKS Fly w/7MGE clutch,ST Springs, RC Intake & TB, 2.8GT & XX emblems, Factory Add on Rear Shoulder belts, Pioneer DEH-P2000 AM/FM/CD w/CDS-P5000 CD Player, Compomotive CXNs 8x16

Thanks I have looked at her build very nice car.
    to be honest on the engine i am not sure which route i will go. I do have a 5.3 ls sitting in the garage

hi there

Thread Information